PDA

View Full Version : will sparkalloid settle 100% juice?

garlictrain
11-22-2006, 01:24 AM
so here it is...
i'm brewing with around 2 1/2 cases of 100% juice i dumpstered from a local company, naked juice (brand name). the juice is fine, no spoiling, simply a product of the capitalist society in which i live.
i've already boiled to rid of impurities an to increase the amount of fermentable sugars. so far i'm at the point in which i added the yeast, lalvin ec-1118. i've noticed the many layers of sloosh (blended fruit) and was wondering if near end time i can limit the amount tranferred for second fermentation by using sparkalloid. i have a 6 1/2 gallon carboy of strawberry kiwi, 2 gallons of mango maddness, an 1 gallon of a blue berry/berry/pomegranate mix.
no honey, no suger, straight 100% juice.
friends of mine stay away from the blended fruits but they don't so much as rack their brews. is sparkalloid what i'm looking for or is there a better option to settle the sloosh?
ps. no chemicals please, unless you just gotta testify...
thanks!

Lugh
11-22-2006, 09:05 PM
Well, I wouldn't have boiled the juice. You've set pectin - it's like creating jelly. Pectic Enzyme could be added to help break that up. You can wait and use a clearing agent, but it won't really produce a compact mass with all that stuff.

Sparkalloid is a mix of various polysaccharides and diatomaceous earth - it's good for light/medium fining when you don't want to affect flavor and color.

Chitosan or Bentonite might be a better choice for the heavier fining you need.

garlictrain
11-23-2006, 02:07 PM
i can see what you mean about a pectin. looks like a funnel cake of brains floating at the top of my carboy. although most of the fruit has seemed to settle to bottom, taking up about 1/4 of the carboy. i will look into Chitosan or Bentonite for heavier fining, that is to say if racking a few times won't do the job.
thanks lugh :wave:

update!:11/27/06: added pectic enzyme thinking maybe it would break up the already formed pectins floating at the top. nope, pectic enzyme is for the begining process BEFORE fermentation, to keep fruit pectins to a minimal. not good for during fermentation especially after boiling the juice, good to learn these things by trial an error.

figure i'll just rack out the juice when it's finished primary fermentation, taking special precautions to leave the yeasties and pectins where they be. then i'll add the honey for secondary... thinking around 13 lbs/ 6 1/2 gallon carboy.