PDA

View Full Version : Early Taste test

rh8807
11-26-2006, 03:01 AM
Ok, hi everyone, hope ya all had a good thanksgiving, I think im still full.

Ok, monday will be 3 weeks since I started my batch of JAO, I tasted it tonite to see how it was coming along. To my suprise, it was mellow, nice flavor after only 3 weeks...hope thats not a bad thing, but then I had already had a couple glasses of Merlot, so maybe its not as mellow as I think..LOL

Anyway, no strange smells, nothing is furry..LOL, I can smell alcohol, not over bearing but its there. I used the skinny plastic tube that came with my hydrometer to get a current reading, seems to be 1.095 and about 58 degrees...yeah, and thats warm for my house..I have a wood stove, so when I am on the road there is no heat in my house. I read in a brewing book they had at the store where I got my suplies, that colder is not a terrible thing, only fermentation may take longer, so we will see.

Anyway, as far as the taste, very similar to the mead I tasted at the Ren faire, almost taste fizzy, like champagne, but not like champagne, I mean not foaming or pressurized just a slight fizz taste. I cant describe it, but the mead I had at the faire was the same way, so I assume its OK.

Well, thats it for now, based on what I have written, if you guys think there is anything I need to fix, let me know...im hitting the road in the morning for 2 weeks, but if I need to fix anything I can do it before I leave.

Thanks
Rick

Rhianni
11-27-2006, 12:06 AM
Hello Rick.

I have never made nor seen a recipe for JAO though I have heard of it.

3 weeks and the reading is 1.095. Unless you read it wrong it doesnt seem like its fermenting very much. You say it has a fizz taste which can happen if slight fermentation is going on. Is the airlock bubbling at all?

I suggest not drinking several glasses of merlot before taste testing a mead. A merlot (or any read wine really) is going to be too strong.

69*camaro
11-27-2006, 07:20 PM
Rick,
I am no expert, but I am on my 3rd batch of JAO. In fact I have a glass of ancient lemon in front of me, a 6 gallon batch just about ready and a 1 gallon batch of ancient blueberry just started.

If you think it is drinkable now, just wait till 8 to 10 weeks. It gets much smoother at around 8 weeks and continues to improve for another couple of weeks beyond. Wait until it is clear and at least 8 weeks old. You might consider starting another batch now, as the 1st one usually will get consumed rather quickly.

Good luck!
Bryce