• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Strong yeasty flavor in my mead--ugh

Barrel Char Wood Products

wortswiller

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 5, 2006
I want to re-visit discussion on my mead that I made a year ago. Im really at the point of just dumping it out. A year ago, this is what I did:

I was aiming to produce a medium show still mead. First the recipe I used for 5 gallons:

14lbs of locally produced wildflower honey (Cleveland OH area)
2 tsp of energizer
2tsp of yeast nutrient
1 packet of rehydrated D-47 Lalvin Yeast
O.G was about 1.100 and gravity at time of first racking was about 1.005
Fermentation temp was between 58 F and 62 F

I used the no-boil method outlined in Compleat Meadmaker for 5 gallons. I fermented my must for about 3 weeks in a plastic primary fermenter. Based on the airlock activity I had very strong and healthy fermentation. I racked my mead after airlock activity seemed to stop and after racking I found very little yeast sediment on the bottom of my primary. After about 1 month a thick yeast sediment developed on the bottom and the mead was very cloudy. The mead never clarified on its own.

So basically I let the mead age in a carboy for about a year. About 3 months ago I cleared it with sparkloid and it did a fantastic job. After it cleared, the mead still had a strong yeasty flavor to it and the mead by this point was quite dry--drier than I wanted. So i added potassium sorbate or whater to it and I continued to let it age. Today I racked the mead off the lees and it's very very clear but still has that awful yeasty flavor. I'm afraid this mead is a goner bgut someone told me that racking it off the lees will make the yeast flavor go away. Can anyone enlighten me on what to do with this mead? Seems like a waste to dump something out that looks so good but but not good enough to drink.

Thanks to everyone who posts in these forums. It is useful advice to us lurkers and meadmaker wanna'bees'. (Ok, lame pun)

Thanks in Advance,

WortSwiller

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Am I understanding correctly that your mead has been on a thick layer of lees for over a year? If so, than thats the source of your yeasty flavor, and to my knowledge theres no real way to reduce those elements.

wortswiller

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 5, 2006
Yes it was sitting on the lees for just a little over a year. But even very early on this mead had the strong yeasty flavor which never seemed to mellow. I had read in a few other posts that Lalvin D-47 yeast can tolerate the mead without racking for a long time. So I kind of forgot about it. I'll wait another month with it I guess and sample it then. Otherwise I guess it's going down the sewer.

Leonora

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 16, 2006
Loveland, CO
www.ildanachstudios.com
Greetings,

I'd be tempted to add some other flavor componants that would be supported and enhanced by the yeast flavor.

Just thinking briefly about it I will throw out a couple of flavoring ideas. You are going to pitch it anyway, so what do you have to loose?

I'd seperate out a gallon and try any of these ideas that appeal to you. Then if it works, then do the rest of the batch.

- hops and other beer componants like some smoked grain; I think the yeast flavor would be a natural with more bitter flavors

- back sweeten and add some cookie flavors like anise (which I would toast first), vanilla, orange, etc; again I could see the yeast flavor really enhancing the baking flavor palate (choose your favorite baked good and use the spices from it)

- try various oakings; I don't have a local source for anything but oak chips - but I blend several different types of chips together and have had some wonderful results, they can really add a lot of flavor quickly so don't forget about them - check them every couple of days!

- go the greenpepper/chipotle/jalapeno route; I love a jalapeno and raspberry jam that I get at the farmers' market. Add a bag of frozen raspberries and a couple jalapeno peppers and back sweeten

- curry has a musty flavor that might cover and blend with the yeast taste; I'd make sure to get very fresh and stir in a little at a time maybe with some coconut milk to add another flavor element - it will probably get stronger with age so go a bit light at first

Well, I have to get back to work. But for my way of thinking, you are planning on tossing this anyway - why not add some additional flavor to it and then see what happens.

Oh, one last thought. If you have plenty of bottles and just plain don't want to mess with it much, I'd just bottle it up and set it to the back of the closet somewhere and "loose" it for 2 or 3 years. I keep hearing that age cures all with mead. :laughing7:

All the best,
Leonora

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
wortswiller said:
Yes it was sitting on the lees for just a little over a year. But even very early on this mead had the strong yeasty flavor which never seemed to mellow. I had read in a few other posts that Lalvin D-47 yeast can tolerate the mead without racking for a long time. So I kind of forgot about it. I'll wait another month with it I guess and sample it then. Otherwise I guess it's going down the sewer.

Realize that most of the discussions about aging on the yeast we have had have been related to whether a certain type of yeast will "ruin" a batch by "rupturing" and putting a sulfurus taste into the batch. 71B is a notoriously bad yeast for doing this and so racking off of it is generally recommended as soon as fermentation is complete. When a yeast like D-47 is talked about being able to be aged on, it has to do with the ability of the yeast not to impart this sulfurousness (word?) into the must. D-47 is a good yeast in this regard...

I believe that someone (possibly Oskaar) has talked in the past about the fact that D-47 is noted for imparting this yeastiness during aging. I am guessing that the taste will mellow with time but I like the suggestion of trying to find a taste combination that either goes well with the yeastiness or possibly one that masks it. I have found that dryness tends to dull those things I consider positives (like fruitiness) and sharpen those thing I consider negatives (like bitterness and astringency). So something as simple as backsweetening the batch with a moderately strong flavored honey might help. But use this as an opportunity to experiment rather than tossing the batch...

Rhianni

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006
When you first tasted it it was the floating yeasts. Now when you taste it its the left over aftertaste of the yeast being in there for so long.
I'd use one of Leonora's ideas for an extra flavor to help cover up the yeast. Think of this as a chance to experiment.

wortswiller

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 5, 2006
Well, fiddlesticks! Those are grim assessments indeed. I guess I might try oak chips and maybe play around with some of the suggestions. I will definitely back sweeten it with some honey. I guess I'll start with a cup and see what that does. And Leonora's suggestions of spices sound intriguing. I think I will try orange or vanilla or even cinnamon. But I suppose I'll wait a month or two before I try anything in the vain hope that maybe this yeastiness may dissapate some with aging. I'll think long and hard before I try making mead again. I have much better success with beer.

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
WortSwiller,

A suggestion. Grab a couple of beer bottles and rack some mead into them. Cap them, and pop them in the post to the more experienced mazers on the forum (IM those whose oppinions you would like to see if they can accomodate). Let them have a taste and provide you with some input. You may find that a) they can give you suggestions for a cure, b) they can provide suggestions for additions to mask the yeast flavor, or c) they will tell you that the yeast taste is not bad. From this, you can decide if you want to continue making Mead, or if you prefer the taste of beer alone.

Good luck,

Angus

Rhianni

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006
I wouldnt give up. Mead for me at least is easier to make then beer. I have found it pretty forgiving of mistakes at least more so then beer.

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
Yo dude--I had a batch with a persistant yeasty taste as well. As an experement I tried adding a small quantity of vanilla. I didnt steep it for long at all (in the 1/2 c. sample I used just the tip of a bean and left it for less thatn a day) while the vanilla flavor was very subtle the yeasty flavor seemed to vansih. I dont understand why it works, my only recomendation
USE SAMLL TESTS FIRST AND DONT ADD TO MUCH!!

It can be easy to overdo vanilla, if you are a vanilla feind this wont be a problme, but for me the falvor is too rich, nobody can finish a glass.

Good luck dude ;)
~Wolfie

Rhianni

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006
Yes be very careful with vanilla and give it time. I made the mistake of making a vanilla mead once. mixed it in waited a couple days and tasted. added more and repeated until I got it where I wanted. Then it continued to appear. It was a rather undrinkable vanilla overload at the end.

wortswiller

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 5, 2006
Thanks. All good advice. I think I'm going to try the vanilla route. Do I use a vanilla bean? Or do I buy good vanilla extract? How do I actually go about imparting the vanilla flavor? I have probably about 4.5 gallons left of the mead. I'm going to pour a cup or two of raw honey into the mead also to sweeten up some. I'm still considering the oak chip route but I have to say I don't like 'oakey' wines so I'm not sure I would like an 'oakey' mead either....and certainly not an oakey, yeasty mead.

wortswiller

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 5, 2006
Do I boil the bean or sanitize it in any way? I've read conflicting information on whether to use a whole bean or extract.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns