• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Re: I believe I don't know how to use the mead calculator correctly

Barrel Char Wood Products

Chimerix

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006

I'm trying to become a bit more proficient with this tool. I periodically get nonsensical answers from it, but those are diminishing as I figure out what I should be asking.

However, here's one I can't seem to figure out.

A train leaves Boston at 5am... wait, wrong forum! ::)

Let's say I want to start with 5 gallons of must, to which I've added 20 lbs of honey. The calculator tells me that gives me a SG of 1.147 and a potential ABV around 20%. Easy enough.

Now, I want to stop the fermentation at 10% ABV. Alternately, I used a yeast with 10% ABV tolerance. What will the SG be when I get there?

If I try putting 1.147 into "current SG" and 10% into ABV, it tells me my target gravity is 1.08, but it also tells me to remove 9.199 lbs of honey from my must. :BangHead:

Logic tells me I can probably just divide the orignal numbers it provided (1.147, 20%) by the same number (in this case 2) and arrive at a gravity of 1.0725 and ABV of 10%. :dontknow:

So, how do I answer this seemingly simple question? Embrace the world of negative honey, trust common sense, or.... what?

Mahalo in advance!
Tom

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia

Aww, come on, you've got come up with harder questions than that! :D

All you need to do is enter 10 into the "Target Gravity" second text area (the one for the %ABV), then click somewhere on the form or press the tab key, and the SG will be updated to 1.080

The SG and the %ABV are linked together, so entering a value in either one will cause the other to show its associated value (just click on the form somewhere to trigger the update).

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns