PDA

View Full Version : Re: First batch on a Full Moon night......

NewBeeOne
02-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Well, here it is....the results are in on this first batch of mine. I pulled that one gallon carboy out from it's dark place of resting and decided to go ahead and bottle it up. Everything came out very easily with a modified wire hanger! I cleaned and sanitized four average sized wine bottles with those easy to fit in corks with the plastic tops. (Newbie I know) The mead appeared to be completely clear. The smell was strong of honey and the orange note was there but not overpowering. You could get the hint of the cinnamon but nothing major and there was only a slight smell of "alcohol or hotness" to the nose. Almost like smelling a port or cream sherry when it is fresh out of the bottle. Now for the taste.....I have never tasted mead before and so I had to read a lot on the flaovor profile that I should expect from this. Well, when you first take a sip, there is the obvious taste of the honey. Not strong like raw honey, but, more like a very, very thinned out and watered down version of the raw. I did notice the orange/cinnamon flavor, but, it was not very strong. There was only a slight "hotness" to the mouth and on the way down. My concern is this...the aftertaste seemed off to me. When I say off I mean, it seemed to have an orange rind flavor and an almost oily presence. Could this be because I did not clean the orange as well as it should have been (scrubbed the poor thing with very hot water and soap and then rinsed well) or is it because it was not an "organic" orange and any number of things could have contributed to the flavor? All in all, if the aftertaste was not there, I would consider this first batch to be a great success! The addiction has grown over the last eight weeks and already I am buying the ingredients for another batch. This next batch shall recieve that same only without the orange rind......I shall keep all "posted"! :cheers:

JamesP
02-26-2007, 08:54 PM
If you had a final SG reading, then that would determine how dry it finished at.

The rind flavour is part of the balance of flavours in the JAO, and tends to be strong in young JAO meads.

I'm guessing that the mead finished on the dry side, which makes the flavour "harsher". It should mellow a bit more in a month or two.

You might like to do a bit of an experiment, and sweeten (just a tiny bit) one or two bottles, so that you can compare how it tastes when it is sweeter.
The orange comes to the fore if sweetened, but you lose complexity. It all comes down to personal preference and finding the balance, especially with different types of oranges having different rind thickness, acidity/sweetness, etc, as well as variations in honey types, not to mention the performance of your (bread?) yeast.

NewBeeOne
02-26-2007, 09:13 PM
I do believe, to the best that I can describe, the mead did finish somewhat dry. It was pleasant in that aspect. I did read where the "rind" flavor will mellow out over the course of a couple of months which is why I debated with myself on allowing it to bulk age in a secondary or bottle age. I chose to let it bottle age for now since this is my first batch. I think that my next batch will be racked into a secondary for an additional two months. I found it hard to rack the mead off of the friut and lees and bottle it as well, although I did it. I also think that racking it into a secondary will minimize the work and help to increase the clarity with a minimal of lees being stirred around at bottling time. The use of bread yeast did seem "out of the box" for me, since I have a history of beer brewing, but, this is not beer and I am not on autopilot yet! :laughing7: Anywho, I do appreciate the input and helping me to settle my nerves a bit on the success of it. I feel good about this batch and will try out your sugestions on the next batch. I will start the next one on the next full moon or perhaps the New Moon..... :icon_study: ~Till next time~

NewBeeOne
01-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Okies....I have brewed a few more batches and they died very quickly....I found out that I was putting too much honey in the next recipes due to my ignorance and such. Now, having corrected myself...I have another batch that has fermented the required time and I racked it into a secondary. Now, it has been in the secondary for about 4 weeks or so and I racked it one more time. It has now been in the carboy for about 2 months and is crystal clear. I sampled a little of it as I racked it from one to another and it seemed to tasted just fine so far. Having allowed to age a bit longer and at cool temps, perhaps it will be better than my first batch!!! I will bottle it in another week or so and let you know.... :cheers:

Teufelhund
01-18-2008, 01:25 PM
Hi newbeeone,

Welcome to GotMead? in case no one has said that yet. A suggestion: just use the zest of the oranges and/or any citrus fruit. Using the whole peel introduces the pith, which is very bitter. Use the zest, peel the fruit and mash the segments to pulp for optimal fruit exposure.

DD

NewBeeOne
02-01-2008, 05:05 PM
If betting was allowed...I would make that bet to say that you are or were a Marine? Devil Dog! Semper Fi... :cheers: Anywho, yeah I have been around for a little bit. Just getting in some brewing over the last year or so. Messed up a few batches and such, but, all part of the learning process. Thanks for the idea of just using the zest. I am about to move on past the JAO and into the rest of the world of brewing Mead....CHEERS!

Teufelhund
02-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Hi NewBeeOne,

Yes, you'd win that bet. 12 yr Marine vet. '80-'92. 4th FSSG MP Unit/ANGLICO :icon_salut:

I've been brewing mead for 4 yrs but only recently when I joined here and became a Patron did I actually learn HOW to brew mead. HA! The zest thing is a chef trick. My fist JAO is Joes Ancient Orange and it's getting close now. Down to less than a bubble every 2 min or so and is clearing a bit. Still has cap and some agitation. As several posted about orange bitterness, leaving out the pith should reveal better results.
Again, welcome and good luck brewing!

DD

If betting was allowed...I would make that bet to say that you are or were a Marine? Devil Dog! Semper Fi... :cheers: Anywho, yeah I have been around for a little bit. Just getting in some brewing over the last year or so. Messed up a few batches and such, but, all part of the learning process. Thanks for the idea of just using the zest. I am about to move on past the JAO and into the rest of the world of brewing Mead....CHEERS!

NewBeeOne
02-08-2008, 11:53 PM
I will try that whole zest thing on my next batch this weekend and see how it goes. 4th FSSG MP Unit eh? Nice. I was 3/7 Infantry in 29 Stumps and also in the Security Forces in Iceland......Finished out as a 60mm/81mm Mortar Instructor and Close Combat Instructor in Quantico with Lt.'s. Well, looking forward to the next step in the brewing process of mead. BTW, I have a honey porter in the secondary and has been there for about a week or so....cannot wait to bottle that bad boy up!!!

liff
02-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Sorry about the thread de-rail.

MOS 7382 '94 to '98. Got out as a sergeant.