PDA

View Full Version : Re: My first mead - One week and I'm addicted

Gaanon
02-19-2007, 07:51 PM
Just finished bottling it a few minutes ago. Due to my lack of experience, I think that process was WAY harder then it had to be. The biggest issue seemed to be the hose connections. Everything was the right size, but there still seemed to be spots where air was leaking in. On top of that I was using bottles that were so dark it was hard to see when they were filled until it was too late. Yikes! Yeah...I spilled a bit. Other then that I believe I got a bit too much of the lees in the bottle. Again, I'm sure all that will come with experience. For now, I've got it chilling in the fridge.

Out of the sample I'm 'testing out' I gotta say it's rather nice. Nice citrusy smell and taste to it. Just a bit harsh of an alcohol burn to it that I'm sure will mellow with age.

Joe, my hats off to you. Thank you for getting me started into this addiction!

Gaanon

akueck
02-20-2007, 01:06 AM
Some things I've figured out, after similar problems:

Hose clamps are good. Though the first time I tried it I actually had more air leakage than without it, now I place a rubber band around the hose and the clamp over that. Total seal, no air is getting through that!

If you've got easily disturbed lees, rack into a bucket first, then fill the bottles from there (assuming you have or can get a plastic bucket with a spigot just off the bottom). The lees you suck up will fall back down to the bottom of the bucket, and the last bit of mead that never makes it to bottles will have the most yeast in it.

Lastly, I have a "brew towel". It goes down on the floor beneath anything that has liquids poured or otherwise transferred into them. Once I'm done I just throw it in the wash, and cleanup is a snap!

You've only got one problem now: an empty fermenter. Hmm, what will you do??? :cheers: