PDA

View Full Version : IS ANYBODY CLOSE ENOUGH TO...

WRATHWILDE
01-27-2007, 05:20 PM
Does anybody live close enough to tour Indian Oak (http://www.indianoak.com/resort/directions.htm) and report back on the condition of their facilities?

Wrathwilde

GrantLee63
01-27-2007, 05:30 PM
Everything is relative I suppose - including distance - but with that being said, I'm 232.61 miles away according to Mapquest .....

WRATHWILDE
01-27-2007, 05:44 PM
Everything is relative I suppose - including distance - but with that being said, I'm 232.61 miles away according to Mapquest .....

You got me beat by 5.61 miles, Google maps has me at 227 miles.

Wrathwilde

koruptah
03-06-2007, 06:53 PM
I'm planing on attending, I have family in the area. I'll see if one of them would be willing to go look at the place. (Don't count on it though)..

Question: When flying, is it safe to take wine/mead bottle in checked luggage? I've heard that the air pressure differences can cause the bottles to explode. If so I'll ship my mead.

GrantLee63
03-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Wrathwilde, Gang, EVERYBODY !!!

Is this going to happen? Summer is going to be here before ya' know it !

akueck
03-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Question: When flying, is it safe to take wine/mead bottle in checked luggage? I've heard that the air pressure differences can cause the bottles to explode. If so I'll ship my mead.

Can't say I've flown with homebrew (yet), but since the "no-liquids-onboard" rules started I have checked some wine bottles. They survived fine. I'd be more worried about careless luggage handlers than the pressure though. Pack them well.

webmaster
03-06-2007, 10:16 PM
I've flown with mead several times, and 9 times out of 10, they've either exploded, or the luggage gorillas have busted them.

I ship my mead now. Every time.

WRATHWILDE
03-07-2007, 01:49 AM
This Will Happen! I hope to check the place out before the end of the month, fingers crossed... I've already put in my Vacation for those dates, so it will happen. With all the remodeling they've done - There's a 95% it will be held at Indian Oaks.

Wrathwilde

GrantLee63
03-07-2007, 06:04 AM
EXCELLENT! Looking forward to it !!!

WRATHWILDE
04-08-2007, 08:46 PM
I just checked out Indian Oaks, and the renovations are mostly done at this point. Using the Orbitz star rating system (see below), I'd say that Indian Oak falls solidly in the 2 star Category, exactly as that category is described. But being that we are looking for an affordable place to meet a two star hotel is adequate.

The rooms were clean and the bathrooms did indeed have new counters and flooring. The King beds seemed to be quality mattresses, well padded and soft, (probably better than the one I have at home) the sheets and comforters were closer to the economy end of the spectrum though. I will miss my 600 thread count sheets, and quality comforter (I spoil myself rotten).

It is the type of place you could comfortably stay for a night or two, but if you were to stay more than than three days you'd probably be wishing you'd spent the extra $$$ for a 3 star or 4 star hotel as there seems to have been no interior decorator consulted and the rooms would probably drive you stir crazy if you actually had to live out of them for any length of time.

The rooms did have their own "new" small fridge/freezer, microwave and a coffee pot. The Conference room, that we've been offered the use of, has been fully remodeled and has a very nice view of the lake. There is a Pool, Hot Tub and Sauna, nothing olympic or fancy, but clean and useable.

They do offer wireless internet access and cable in all the rooms, and their breakfast menu has been expanded to include waffles, muffins, cereal, bagels. Coffee, tea and juice. I've been told the owner is thinking of expanding further to include biscuits and gravy. I don't recall if they mentioned eggs and bacon, but the rest of the above was on the list.

There is no shortage of places to eat within walking distance of the hotel, just about every major fast food chain is within two blocks, most right across the street. There's an Applebee's and Quiznos about 2 1/2 blocks away as well as a Cold Stone Creamery and a handful of independent restaurants.

Orbitz Guide to Hotel Ratings

2 Stars - Value Properties: Get back to basics with these comfortable properties that offer affordable prices. These properties are often located near office parks, airports, and shopping and retail areas. Rooms are comfortably decorated but not overly elegant. Usually, these properties do not have restaurants or room service, but offer free parking and sometimes, swimming pools.

5 Stars - Luxury hotels: Treat yourself well with first-class services and accommodations. The hotel decor usually creates an elegant ambience from the lobby to each individual guest room or suite. Hotel restaurants are often renown for their famous chefs and delectable dishes and are usually located in the most desirable locations in major cities and resort areas. Other amenities include: valet parking, concierge service, room service, well-equipped fitness centers and state-of-the-art business centers.

4 Stars - Deluxe/upscale hotels: Find comfort, class and quality that you can count on. These hotels will usually be in a prime location and other amenities may include: proximity to desirable shopping areas and restaurants, valet parking, concierge service, room service, well-equipped fitness centers and state-of-the-art business centers. These properties may be newly constructed or recently renovated, and offer tasteful decor in each room or suite.

3 Stars - Mid-scale hotels: Discover convenience and comfort in the city or in the suburbs where many of these properties are located. Amenities that may be available include: swimming pools, fitness centers, room service, concierge service and parking. Often you'll find these properties located near highways and office complexes. Rooms and lobbies are nicely furnished, and restaurants are usually located at the property.

1 Star - Economy Hotels & Motels: Stay in simple accommodations that typically are located near major highways and transportation. Amenities include free parking, local calls and cable television. Restaurants are often located nearby, and room service is usually not available. Some economy hotels and motels have swimming pools located on the property.

Hope to see everyone there, and don't forget your T-Shirs.

:cheers:
Wrathwilde

sandman
04-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Well I'll be out of this middle eastern sandbox by then, but unfortunately I'll still be in Thailand pounding Cisco routing and switching commands into my head while you guys are all sampling different meads and having a good time. :BangHead:

I'm hoping to make it to the next Meadfest. Maybe I'll even have something brewed by that time I won't be too embarrassed to bring along for the trip. :confused3:

It would be nice to get to meet some of you and actually get to put some faces with the names. The "What do we look like" thread is missing most of them.

Being a newbie around here I spend most of my time in assimilation mode as yet but I'm starting to get a few impressions of who's who in the community. It still feels like a great place to be and I've learned loads already just from these past few months.

Cheers everyone and have a great time!!
:cheers:

WRATHWILDE
06-08-2007, 03:14 AM
I Must Regretfully Announce That
The Great Lakes Mead Tasting
Is Canceled!!!

After having messaged everybody who was initially interested in attending the mead tasting, approximately half claimed that because of other things cropping up they wouldn't be able to attend, the other half failed to respond at all. Which brings the total number of people who actually confirmed that they were going to attend to two, Myself and another brewer here in Dubuque. And since we don't need to travel to taste each others mead there's no point in us going.

Maybe we'll try again next year. But you people have got to be more committed, and be prepared to spring for a more luxurious hotel. It won't be held at Indian Oaks.

-Jered (Wrathwilde)

Oskaar
06-08-2007, 03:44 AM
Sorry to hear about this. I'm sure that next year things will work out!

Cheers,

Oskaar

webmaster
06-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Sorry Wrath, the doc told me that 17 hours in a car a week after major surgery was a Bad Idea. I'm really sorry I'm not able to make it. Believe me you, I'd *much* rather be drinking mead with friends than laying about waiting for the stitches to come out, LOL.

Vicky - facing anywhere from 1-4 weeks of forced bed rest depending on what they end up doing.....