PDA

View Full Version : Sulfur Smell Creates Panic

scbeec
01-29-2007, 10:52 AM
Hi - this is my first batch. Right now, a nasty sulfur smell is coming from the airlock. Here are the stats:

Started 2 days ago
OG = 1.090 and now it's 1.083
original pH = 5.24 and now it's 3.4
bubbling like crazy - 1 to several per second
funny smell started this morning and it even burned my nose a bit (got too close, I guess)
ingredients - honey, spring water, fermaid, K1-V1116 and Campden tabs

I did sulfite - I wasn't going to, but at the last minute, I got nervous and doubted myself and thought better safe than sorry. I used about 3/4 Campden tab per gallon. Is this normal - does it mean the SO2 is coming out of the must or is something horribly wrong? The must doesn't taste like sulfur. Any advice is indescribably appreciated.

Oskaar
01-29-2007, 05:45 PM
OK, going forward please put your recipe in a line item by line item format, for example:

12 lbs honey
4 lbs blackberries
H2O to five gallons
10 grams Lalvin 71B-1122 yeast

Then list your steps one by one in the order you did them as below. (sorry, I know you did some typing already but there are so many posts that if they're not in the above format I pretty much just skim and move on)

1. Did you wait 24 hours after you sulfited before pitching your yeast?

2. How did you rehydrate your yeast?

3. Did you rehydrate your yeast with Go-Ferm?

Oskaar

scbeec
01-29-2007, 10:05 PM
The smell is gone. It didn't last very long at all. I didn't wait after sulfiting before pitching the yeast. I actually went back and read about that after it was too late. Sorry to post my question for no reason, but I didn't anticipate that it would stop the weird smell so soon.

Thanks for the info on format for future posts.