• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Flintlocks

Barrel Char Wood Products

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
With the wide variety of intrests here I thought this would be a good place to start digging for info on this subject. I know there are a lot of you that are into period recration/re-enactment.
So I would like to start shooting flintlocks and want to get in cheap as possible. I was thinking of trying to track down some kits like how precussion cap muzzle loaders are sold. So I just started my internet search and figured someone here would have an insight into this hobby.

thanks in advance,
Kace

Chimerix

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006
Aloha Kace!

I'm fairly "into" firearms, and am NRA certified as both an Instructor and Training Counselor in several disciplines. Black powder isn't among them, but I've shot my share of charcoal-burners. Grew up with a couple in the family.

Without intending to dissuade you, I'm curious. Do you have shooting experience already? If not, you're really jumping into the deep end of the pool!

That being said...
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/fusionbb.php

Also, contact your local chapter of the NRA or NRA-affiliated club. Find out if they have anyone in your area running classes. Even if you already know what you're doing, these classes are really beneficial. If you get nothing else out of them, you'll get a few hours of trying assorted guns and soliciting advice from experienced enthusiasts.

Here's a link that will let you look up neighborhood clubs and ranges:
http://www.nrahq.org/clubs/index.asp

And here's one that will let you look for trainers and classes:
http://www.nrahq.org/education/index.asp

Also, contact your local Department of Land and Natural Resources for leads. They probably have special rules governing black powder hunting, and contact information for groups who are into such things.

Happy shooting!

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
Port Orange, Florida, USA
Just got back from a big get together run by the Florida Frountierman re-enactors where black powder fire arms were everywhere. It was aweek long rendevous of pre 1840 re-enactors with canvas tents and period clothing, really a lot of fun. If you look around there should be a lot of information on black powder from civil war all the way back to match lock fire arms. If it is your first time shooting then get together with a club, they can steer you in the right direction for a rifle or pistol with out busting the bank. Some of the black powder rifles at the rendevous were going for over $2,000.00, it can get expensive fast. I've seen some kits in the Cabella's catalog but most of them are percusion cap not flint locks.

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
Yes I have shooting experience, I grew up in a house full of guns.
I looked around last night and saw that these things aren't cheap. So maybe this isn't going to happen until I win the lotto. I have thought about percussion cap guns, but I would rather have something more primitive. I like the feeling of bieng in touch with history.

Thanks for the advice guys. I knew I wouldn't be the only one here with an interest like this.

I know that there is or was a group of black powder shooters around here. My boss said his dad was into this years ago and built his own flintlock. I just don't have the kind of money for a toy this expensive.

Johnnybladers

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 13, 2006
Not all flintlocks are going to be $2k, I'd bet that was either an antique or a very nice handmade (and they probably went up from there). CVA makes kits (not the greatest quality level IMO but pretty cheap) though most are likely caplock. Thompson Center Arms makes using flintlock rifles in the price range of (if memory serves) $300. They are out there for real use. Some states (PA at least) have flintlock only hunting seasons and many people wouldn't use really expensive works of art.
Its very funny that this thread came up now, I was just thinking about trying to find a flintlock (or maybe caplock) longish barreled pistol kit and replacing the "stock" with some of the exotic wood that I've bought over the past few years.
Good luck in your search, Jon

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
Kace,

LOTS of great info on TMF (The Muzzleloading Forum) including a Flintlock only board:

http://tinyurl.com/3djl3l

I have a Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading 20 Gauge Flintlock Fowler:

http://tinyurl.com/36s55y

Not cheap, but far from being overly expensive. I actually went to visit Toni and Matt Avance (the husband/wife team who own and operate TVM) in Corinth, MS while I was on a visit to the Shilo NMP Civil War Battlefield - they are great people who produce a great product. Do a search on the the TMF forums on TVM and you will find a LOT of very satisfied customers.

However, like Jon said, you could certainly spend a lot less money and still find a very usable - amd extremely fun-to-shoot flintlock. Good luck !

- GL63

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns