PDA

View Full Version : New Member Intro

JRHoppette
02-06-2007, 05:30 PM
At the urging of Oskaar I have moved from full time to part-time lurker and probably should attempt an introduction. My beverage fermentation background is predominately barley based with the majority of the past 7 seven years spent all-grain brewing. I have at times produced reasonable wines AND prior to meeting Oskaar believed that I had produced a viable mead or two. Much to my surprise, and due in large part to my close proximity to Oskaar, it is now clear that "I'm not worthy".

I come to GB a humble soul in need of guidance, nourishment and understanding. In exchange, the best I have to offer is a somewhat rudimentary understanding of beer brewing.

Oskaar
02-06-2007, 06:38 PM
Hoppette is being a bit modest. He's one of the very few brewers who has actually had his recipes (Monkey Love springs to mind) brewed and served at a recent "Strong Ale" event by a commercial brewery. He also does a good deal of pilot brewing for certain commercial breweries here in the OC, and is a fun guy to maze and brew with.

He's a good guy with a good sense of humor, but, he is from Texas so he tends to talk in "BIG" terms! LOL

Welcome aboard Hoppette!!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Chimerix
02-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Welcome, indeed, y'all!

We needs all the Southerners we can git!!

ucflumberjack
02-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Awesome! you can bother Oskaar with the same questions that I did (or maybe you already have since you know him) and ill bother you questions about AG brewing.

Welcome!

Angus
02-06-2007, 09:49 PM
Welcome indeed,

What I am about to say is warped a little from a slightly excessive amount of JAO and a particularly nice Orange Blossom Cream Ale (all grain), so read into it what you will. As a fellow all-grainer, I know that your experience will be vey welcome here. So.....Welcome, and please post all that you are willing to share here, even if beer related. I am eager to learn from the more experienced AG'er. As for Mead, check out the posts from Wrathwilde, in particular the "Oskaar in a Nutshell ones" and the Newbee Guide. This is, as I am so willing to say time and time again, the premiere site for mead brewing on the internet.

Angus

PS - How about an avatar to know what you look like - signed, the beat up guy.

JRHoppette
02-06-2007, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome. Angus, perhaps an avatar is in order but I have no desire to do irreparable harm to the server with my actual likeness. Perhaps a photo of the Lockness Monster will surface and serve as a reasonable facsimile.

UCFLUMBERJACK - I doubt very much that I can be of help with AG brewing except in technical areas and recipe formulation. Procedural questions are my most often received queries and are by far the most arduous to address. I have to relearn everything each time I encounter a new brewing system.

But I am here to assist in recipe formulation, if needed, and can help should anyone want to enter beers in BJCP competitions or need additional assistance in determining how a beer might do in competition.

Thanks again.

BTW, how does UC fit with flumberjack?