PDA

View Full Version : My first meads!!

Landon
02-10-2007, 05:44 AM
Well, I decided I could lurk no longer. It was time to get my feet wet. A week ago, 1/31/07 to be exact, I brewed 5 gallons of JAO. I just multiplied all the ingredients by 5 because I didn't have an appropriate 1 gal container for it. I'm happy to say it's still bubbling at about 1 bubble every 5 seconds.

Today I got some Lalvin D-47 that I ordered a few days ago, along with all the proper nutrients. Of course, being bitten by the brewers bug, I spontaneously made some cyser before dinner. I had the forethought to buy 2 gallons of organic apple juice with no preservatives last weekend in Seattle (there's no Trader Joe's here in eastern WA). I followed the recipe for Fall's Bounty Cyser in Ken Schramm's The Compleat Meadmaker as close as I could, given my lack of measuring equipment, meadmaking expertise. Here's what I did, made in a glass gallon jug:

1 gallon organic gravenstein applejuice
1.5 cups wildflower honey
1 handful of raisins'
(sadly I had no dates)
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
Lalvin-D47 rehydrated with go-ferm
1 tsp fermaid K
1/2 tsp DAP
Shaken till my elbows ached

I'm sure my method isn't even close to perfect, but it's bubbling merrily along at 1 per second or so. I celebrated by cracking open a homebrew. Here's to hoping it turns out delicious!

Dan McFeeley
02-10-2007, 08:42 AM
Hello Landon, welcome to the forums!

A JAO is a great start, and you're going to like the results. Good luck on the cyser and keep us posted on its progress!

You're going to be hitting a quiet period on the forums, with many of our chief contributors away at the International Mead Festival in Colorado. Keep posting and we'll help out as best as possible.

Remember, first spillage is an homage to Oskaar!

ucflumberjack
02-10-2007, 11:50 AM
do you brew beer too?

Landon
02-10-2007, 05:22 PM
Oh yeah, Meadfest is going on now right? Yeah I started brewing beer just a couple months ago, since Christmas. My brother got me a bucket and a carboy along with Charlie Papazian's book. Reading the little section on mead in there sparked my interest and I guess it led me here.