View Full Version : Purple Wine

02-10-2007, 12:05 PM
Ok so ive got an odd question. my girlfriend wants to have a bottle of purple wine. she doesnt know anything at all about wine(i dont know much either) and that is the only way she could describe it. she really likes strawberry white zinfandell, so maybe theres a wine that is similar in flavor (light, sweet, fruity) but purple? id assume she will refuse to drink anything tannic or acidic or dry. well any suggestions? (styles or brands??)

02-10-2007, 05:45 PM
A simple Merlot is fairly purple and usually fruity--plums are the most common. They can be very complex and full-bodied, but most American merlots you will find for under $15 will be more along the lines of a simple fruit-forward expression.

Zinfandel is a big fruity wine. (zinfandel is a black grape, so it makes red wines) Syrah/shiraz is also good.

Pinot Noir is usually a nice light red, though again you can find fuller bodied ones. Good pinot is usally a little more expensive though. ($20/bottle at least)

Rose of zinfandel or pinot noir would be good choices too, though they'll be pink and not red. Rose wines very often express strawberry flavors.

Why the obsession with color? Who cares what color it is, if she likes the taste?

Anyway, I would suggest you go get a bottle of Australian Shiraz (or, if you feel bold, a Shiraz/Cabernet blend). The Australian versions of these are usually nice, soft, and fruity. Easy to drink, widely available, and inexpensive. Any brand will probably do, though I tend to be wary of those that are less than $5/bottle. Spend $10-15 and you'll be good to go. Most wines from big producers in the central valley of CA will be of similar style (easy, soft, fruity).

02-10-2007, 08:57 PM
well my girlfriend is crazy and all the could come up with was purple. if i get her a red wine that tastes great shell hate it because she wanted purple and its red. but if i get her a purple one thats alright shell love it becasue its purple and she specified purple.... shes nuts.... she has many redeeming qualities though.

02-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Permission to Joke? Next time you're cruising for a girlfriend... stay away from the grade schools! You'll find Girlfriends are much more fun after they've reached the age of consent.
You could try brewing a Blueberry Mead, I've got one that's so dark purple it's almost black.

02-11-2007, 12:25 AM
permission granted. lol. ya i know.... she gives great back rubs and she cleans my apartment sometimes though.... jk shes a great person and i love her, shes just nuts.

02-11-2007, 12:51 PM
If color is the priority then make something and add blue and red food coloring. Or buy anything that she would like. add the food coloring and stir it gently in a dccanter