• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

IMF Home Competition Results posted

Barrel Char Wood Products

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
:cheers:

The second annual IMF Home Mead Make Competition (HMMC) was a rousing success, with 242 entries from all over the United States. This staggering number of meads were sampled in January during the first round judging, and the winners of that round went on to the finals, which were judged on Thursday, February 8. Some pretty amazing meads were submitted, and the judges had a very enjoyable time tasting them.

Check out the results

Congrats to our own David Baldwin, who won Best in Show with his Orange Spice!!!

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
This is truly an unexpected honor.

I seriously could not have done it without the inspiration, guidance, and moral support from the wonderful people here at GotMead. (I lurked for almost 8 months after I found this forum before I plucked up the courage to make my very first - very horrible - mead.)

I credit the meadmaking skills I have learned to this wonderful forum to and everyone who contributes to it.

Thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way.

David

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
a gallon of Orange Blossom honey - $30
equipment, yeast and spices - $50
Winning Best in Show in the HMMC - PRICELESS

Well, if you got any of the nectar left, dude, shoot a bottle down this way, and I'll reserve a bottle of the Meadowfoam for you that I'll be pitching shortly. If you've a mind to post (or email) the recipe, I'd love to see it. A buddy gave me a couple gallons of orange blossom to brew for him, and I'd love to be able to give him a batch like yours (especially since I keep a tithe for the use of the equipment, LOL).

Congrats, David! I feel like my kid just made the winning basket in the tournament game!!!!! ::sniff:: I'm just so proud of you son.....

Vicky - who saw *several* of my Gotmeaders make the grade this weekend - all y'all rock the house!

P.S. Wrath, lets get that digital brew club going so we can sweep the competition next year!

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
You had an all star cast judging your mead against the winners of the other 9 categories.

They were as I remember: Dr. Marion Ellis (Associate Professor, University of Nebraska Department of Entomology), Julia Herz (HoneyWine.com), Gretchen Bliss (Spruce Mountain Meadery), Ken Schramm (you know who he is right?), David Myers (Redstone Meadery), Vicky Rowe (Gotmead.com), Denice Ingalls (Sky River Mead), and Pete Bakulic (aka Oskaar)

Trust me this was a heavily contended match so to me that means the the quality of all the mead in the final round was excellent which made a decision very difficult. But in the end it was the Orange, Spice Oak that came out on top!

Congrats David! Well done indeed!

Pete Bakulic

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Something started to itch my memory last night so I backtracked through last years IMF results.

I remembered correctly that GNTLKNGHT took last years BOS with his cyser. What I had not remembered was that Beertracker took 1st in 24B Semi-sweet & 2nd in 24C sweet mead, and Brewboy took 3rd in 24A dry.

Looks like a good motivation to move ahead with the GotMead brew club.

David

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
I sent all the club info off to the AHA representative in charge of the club listings back in early December. A quick check of the site shows that "GotMead International Brewmasters" still isn't listed, so I just sent a followup email and hopefully we will be listed soon.
By the way... the only requirement to be a member of "Gotmead International Brewmasters" is to be a registered member of GotMead. That's all there is to it... no dues or fees, although becoming a GotMead Patron helps us better serve this international community of brewers.

and David, how about posting that Best of Show recipe in the Patrons only section?

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Vicky,
Were are in the AHA's database, but due to buggy software upgrades (You're familiar with those, right?), their having trouble getting the info to take on their website, their looking into it. So, Yes, we are recognized, just not listed yet. And because the database sorts by "States" the club is listed under the state of the Contact, so GotMead will be listed under Iowa... though "Altered" would be more accurate. ;D

Wrathwilde

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Not a problem, Wrath. It shows in Iowa, no worries. You're sanctioned by GM, so its cool.

I spoke to David, and that recipe is his first production recipe, so we won't be seeing it here on Gotmead, which is perfectly understandable.

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Wrath,

Vicky's let my great secret out of the bag. ;D

We have a long way to go before we are licensed, with lots of red tape to wade through, but this recipe will now be one of the first meads that Michigan Meadery LLC will offer. ...If I can keep the quality consistent in large volume batch sizes... :BangHead: The original 3 gallon batch was easy, we'll see how it goes when I step it up to 60 gallons.

David

Sander

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 30, 2005
Congratulations David :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Is this your variation on JAO??

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Sander,

If you are referring to my Theme and Variation on JAO that I posted a while back, there are some parallels. Note though that recipe still retained the Fleishman's - not something I would expect to be considered outstanding in any side-by-side comparison to a good wine yeast.

David

J

jack-in-nj

This was the first mead-only competition I have entered, and I'm looking forward to seeing the judges notes so my next batch can be better. There were 28 entires in the category I entered. I assume that's total, not just the final round entries. Will the judges notes tell me where I placed in that flight of 28 entries?

Jack

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hi Jack,

The listing will give you your scores and the judges comments. We're on a fifty point system under the BJCP and AHA auspices that awards a certain number of points for each category such as appearance, aroma, flavor, etc.

I'm pretty sure that only ordinal position within the flight is listed. We don't place meads below gold, silver and bronze.

Cheers,

Oskaar

J

jack-in-nj

Thanks, Oskaar. I realized the scoring and awarding was different than the system used for wine competitions. And I know that if I was judged in the final round I will receive two sets of judges notes. Still, it would be nice to know if my score was 4th or 28th in the category I entered. Is that something that can be considered for future IMF comps? There obviously would not be any award for those placing 4th and lower, but at least each entrant in each category would know where they scored in the field. If scoring tabulation is done in spreadheet format, providing a scoring list (privately) should be pretty easy to accomplish. Just an idea...

Jack

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hi Jack,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Honestly I doubt that we'll be moving past awarding and scoring past the top three. The logistics of doing so are prohibitive. Your group was 28 meads, there were 70 meads in another group and so on. Bottom line is that it would take probably triple the number of judges we had (30) to even consider going that deep into the groups.

That many judges means we would have to ask for more mead from each meadmaker, more stewards, and more of everything (glasses to pencils) to support that many people. The cost alone would break the competition so I don't see us moving in that direction in the foreseeable future.

The biggest factor is the amount of time it would take to compare, contrast and discuss the merits/faults of each mead judge by judge as we do in the medal round. It's very time consuming to do so with 8 meads and can run into a couple of hours easily so with 28 or 70 it's just too much.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns