• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

BarleyWine Festival starts Tomorrow!

Barrel Char Wood Products

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
The Barleywine Festival at the Toronado in San Francisco starts tomorrow and runs through the 24th. I'll be there tomorrow around noon. Hope to see you there!

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Mmmmmmm, Barleywine! Lot's of good ones up north too. Try not to gloat too loudly Aaron! LOL

cheers,

Oskaar

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Yeah, I was surprised how many of the beers were local to the SF area. There were 54 different kinds, though 1 sold out by the time we got there (1 hour after opening). We tried 8, I think. From what I recall, we enjoyed the offerings from Dogfish Head and Snake River breweries the most. (neither local, I know)

That barleywine sure catches up to you fast!

Johnnybladers

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 13, 2006
Dogfish Head's Olde School is very good. If you get a chance to try Hair Of The Dog's Doggie Claws it is also very good(at least the 2004 that I've got in the cellar is now, I didn't try it young). We had a sampling at a friend's house recently and knowing how they sneak up on ya barely kept things from going from great to gag. One more bottle would have gotten ugly.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Ah, we tried Doggie Claws '06. I didn't like it as much as some of the others. One I did like and forgot to mention was Kona's Old Blowhole.

The aged barleywines were definitely better. Drake's had one that was 18 months old, and it was so much smoother than the rest. My friend ran into the Drake's guys at the bar and they remembered us. (my batchelor party started there. Roger the brewmaster was also getting married--on the same day as me--so we got a special tour. But I don't remember a whole lot because they kept feeding me beer...there were some boobs at some point though....good brewery...free chips and salsa...salt is great when you're drunk.)

Anyway...the festival goes through Saturday if anyone is in the SF area. There's also a 'strong beer' promotion of some sort at a few bars/brewpubs (Magnolia, 21st Amendment, & ?) in SF through the end of the month.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns