PDA

View Full Version : What a Difference a Year Makes!

GrantLee63
02-17-2007, 05:36 PM
Tomorrow, Sunday February 18, 2007, will be the One Year Anniversary of myself being a Mead-Maker. On that day one year ago, I made a 5 gallon batch of Papazian's Traditional Antipodal Mead. I also made my first post on this site that day! I've made a few other meads of course, and this past September (as a sort of extension of my mead-making), I got into All-Grain Beer Brewing.

Here are the following meads and beers I've made throughout my year-long journey as a mazer and brewer, listed in the order that I made them:

MEADS:

Traditional Antipodal Mead - 10 bottles left
Joe's Ancient Orange Mead - 3 bottles left
Joe's No-Age Sweet Mead (batch 1) - gone
Tri-Berry Melomel -still bulk-aging
Joe's No-Age Sweet Mead (batch 2) - gone
Gift of The Magi Holiday Cyser - still bulk-aging
Columbard Grape Pyment - still bulk-aging
The Omen's Acerglyn - still bulk-aging (currently on oak)
Sweet Vanilla Mead - still bulk-aging (currently on oak)
Joe's No-Age Sweet Mead (batch 3) - 4 bottles left
JoeM's Basic Braggot - still bottle-aging (although I've 'sampled' about 12!)
Blue-On-Blue Melomel - still bulk-aging
Joe's No-Age Pyment - 13 bottles left
Fresh Sweet Pear Mead - still bulk-aging
Oskaar's New Year Cyser - still fermenting

AG BEERS:

Fat Tire Amber Ale Clone - gone
Oatmeal Stout - gone
Angus's Orange Blossome Cream Ale - gone
Robust Berry Porter - 2 bottles left
Papizian's Pelhourino Stout - gone
Hefeweizen - gone
Raspberry Dunkelweizen - 1 1/2 cases left
Maltose Falcon's Chocolate Vanilla Porter - still bottle conditioning (for 12 weeks per instructions)
Sweet Cherry Stout - 1 1/2 castes left
JoeM's Barleywine Braggot - still bulk-aging
Guinness Stout Pseudo Clone - still in primary - will be my first one kegged!
Wildflower Honey Ale - made it today - will be my second one kegged!

MISC:

Kegerator with 4 taps! (and room for 6 kegs which will allow me to have 2 in-the-waiting)

To say I've learned a LOT from this site that I have been on a total of 6 days, 11 hours, and 29 minutes would be a gross understatement! With that being said, THANK YOU to all you crazy mazers and brewers who have unselfishly given me advice that has resulted in some very tasty meads and beers that my family and friends have enjoyed tremendously!

And a very special THANK YOU to Vicky for all the time, effort, and financial support you dedicate to this site. I know it is not always easy and the frustration level gets pretty intense at times. For whatever it's worth, I :love10: YOU!

This site is a truly wonderful resource that I will continue to support without reservation - GL63

JamesP
02-18-2007, 05:26 PM
Try to keep a bottle of your best batches for at least 3 or 4 year, just to see the difference that happens after 2 or 3 years.
Well worth the wait!!

BTW, that's an impressive beginning.

Chimerix
02-18-2007, 09:58 PM
wow... some startling parallels here, Grant...

My first batch was 5 gallons of Chuck's Antipodal.

My 2nd was a JAO

My 3rd, 4th, and 5th batches are actually 3 different recipes made on the same day, so the word "tri" could apply. One is also a melomel!

I'm getting a real Twilight Zone feeling here!!

GrantLee63
02-19-2007, 06:06 AM
wow... some startling parallels here, Grant...

Hey, I knew I would eventually find another obsessive-compulsive mead maker on this site ! Hello. My name is Grant L. and I am an obsessive-compulsive mead maker .....

JamesP - It is my hope that with ALL the bottles I'll have eventually, at least a case of each of my better meads available in 2, 3, or even more years from now. That was at least part of the reason for jumping into this endeavor with both feet and building up some 'stock'. Obviously, I cannot keep this pace up ...... can I? I mean, if I were to botlle all the mead I have in various stages of bulk aging right now, I would have 480 bottles! I'm going to need a bigger house ...... soon!

- GL63

JamesP
02-19-2007, 06:47 PM
I'm going to need a bigger house ...... soon!

Do you really want us to answer the obvious :laughing7:

Sounds like you have a conundrum. Which ones to keep?
Oh well, more taste testing to determine which ones need to be consumed now to make room for others :cheers: