PDA

View Full Version : Mead comparison

RTIRDNAVY
02-21-2007, 03:54 PM
For those of us who are REALLY new to mead, how do you compare what goes into a mead recipe to a commercially available beer or wine? What I mean is how do you compare what a mead recipe MIGHT make flavor wise against how your favorite beer or wine tastes? For instance, I prefer Killians Red, Guinness and Bud for beer. I prefer really any red wine but I lean towards Shiraz. As far as white wine, I am not crazy about the sweet white wines. What should I look for in a recipe that would appeal to my tastes? I would really HATE to have to taste a whole lot of different meads to find out. ;)
I am still reading as much as I can possibly read on this website BTW. So far I am loving it. Good job to all who contribute.

ucflumberjack
02-21-2007, 06:18 PM
for beer flavored mead or honey flavored beer then look at braggot recipes. for wine flavored meads of mead flavored wines then look at pyment recipes.

akueck
02-21-2007, 08:46 PM
My suggestion is just to find recipes that have ingredients you think will taste good. If you like fruity wines (as in fruit flavors, not fruity sweet), go for a recipe with a fruit you like and a fruit-forward yeast (like 71B). If you like bone-dry neutral flavored wines (not super fruity), go for a simple honey-water-yeast recipe with no residual sugar and maybe K1V or Prise-de-Mousse yeast. In the end, your own taste buds and simple experience will determine which recipes you gravitate towards.

Now, get to tasting! :whip2:

sandman
03-11-2007, 03:28 AM
The best thing about brewing mead is that you'll be able to tailor your efforts to your own personal tastes as your skills develop. There's definitely going to be a bit of trail and error involved as you go, but that's half the fun as far as I'm concerned. I'm actually looking forward to those times when I taste something I've made and ask myself "What was I thinking?" :icon_puke_r:

Congrats on the retirement BTW and thank you for your years of service. (From one old salt to another) :icon_salut:

I started out floating back at the dawn of time myself, but shifted to being a ground pounder in my later years. I did the retired thing in '05. These days I'm doing the contractor thing until I get back home this spring.

Welcome to the world of mead. :cheers: