PDA

View Full Version : Orange Blossom honey

goose_entity
02-26-2007, 11:35 PM
sourced from local bees.

4lbs to a 1 gallon carboy.

Drat. Wish I had made 5 gallons - it's absolutely stunning! Recommend orange blossom honey to anyone wanting to make a mead (rather than a melomel or whatever) - it comes out with a rich orange-peel flavour that is really yummy.

Enjoy :)

sandman
04-02-2007, 05:31 AM
Type of Yeast? Additives? Nutrients?

I've heard so much about Orange Blossom I'm going to have to do one of my own late this summer when I get home. What kind of timeframe did it take?

Any SG readings or final ABV% you could share with us?

The entire recipe you used would be great to see posted here. *hint, hint*

Inquiring minds want to know... :toothy10:
:cheers:

goose_entity
04-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Lalvin KLV116 yeast, the yeast food supplied by the store, 4lbs orange blossom honey, and filtered local water - that's it :)

I cannot supply any OG/SG/FG/OMG as I have no way to measure it.

Best of luck :)

ucflumberjack
04-02-2007, 10:57 PM
4#honey with total volume of one gallon with the rest of the volume being water=1.147, just over PABV of 20%. kiv is good up to like 16-18 sometimes i think which is about 1.12-1.135 which would leave this one at 1.02-1.012. medium-sweet?

goose_entity
04-02-2007, 11:25 PM
sweet - like a liqueur :)

sandman
04-03-2007, 04:41 AM
Sounds good, but I think I may go with 3 to 3-1/2 lbs per gallon. Too sweet just doesn't sit right on my palate forsome reason. I'm still psyched about trying this honey though. Definitely in the top five on my must brew list. :toothy10:

ucflumberjack
04-04-2007, 12:26 AM
ya ive got a batch goin right now as an experiment of sorts. its OB honey to about 1.135 at the start, it was a little over three pounds in a one gallon glass carboy. i also used oak in it though, just .25oz american mediumplus. i wanted to see how much of the rich orange peel flavor carried over, and also wasnted to see what the oak would add when tossed into primary. its about done, i give it another week tops. its in the brewlog...

Malachai
04-07-2007, 11:44 AM
My current 3 Gallon batch is:

12 pounds Orange blossom honey
Juice and zest from 4 oranges
Approx 2 Gallons of water
3 whole cloves
Wyeast sweet mead yeast..

At 6 months its a light, sweet mead with just a bite of clove.. it's going to be stunning in the summer as a light mead..

Next stop.. Blood Orange mead...

sandman
04-07-2007, 12:46 PM
That sounds pretty great too. I'm going to have to start something pretty much as soon as I get home in July so I'll have a good batch of mead ready in time for the holidays. I'm figuring I'll get a good cyser going (with apple honey if I can find it), an Orange Blossom show mead of some sort, and maybe something with a mesquite honey if I can figure out something good to use it with. I wonder how a hot pepper mead would be using mesquite honey...hmm.... :tongue1: I'm sure there are enough recipes here that I'll find something to do with it. Of course locating some shouldn't be TOO difficult living in AZ and all.

My wife is brewing up a batch of JAO for my homecoming right now. It'll be just shy of three months old when I get home so it should be just about right for drinking by then.
:cheers:

Raleigh
04-19-2007, 08:12 PM
Yea, Orange Blossom honey is great. I live in Florida and there are plenty of orange trees around here. The smell of the flowers on a blooming orange tree is really nice...It doesnt really smell like oranges, mabe barely, but its an incredible scent that the flowers have. Id highly suggest you should sniff em if ya ever get a chance! The honey makes for a great mead too! I made many batches last year, but never did a straight honey/water batch.....I think thats the best way to get a flavor for the honey in a mead!