• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Miller's vs. Dutch Gold honey

Barrel Char Wood Products

aenik

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 3, 2007
I'm looking into buying another pail of honey. Orange Blossom. I'm trying to decide between Miller's and Dutch Gold. Out here in NY, I'll have to pay an extra 35 or so to get Miller's stuff.

The difference between the two is that dutch gold flash heats their honey up to 160 to filter, while millers does about 130. I don't know the difference in degree of filtration.
Is this something that should make me choose millers over dutch gold?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Last time I spoke to Miller's they heat their honey to about 120 and use 10 micron filter bags. The honey will flow through them at that temperature.

I believe Dutch Gold uses diatomaceous earth and filter presses to clear the honey of the added diatomaceous earth which necessitates the use of a higher heat. The Miller's Honey was the product I used in the Mead that did so well at the Orange County Fair and the California State Fair.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

yabodie

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2006
Use neither. Miller's is on the left coast so shipping for you in NY will be nasty. Dutch Gold, in what I have received, never states the location their honey is from on their website, so you might get a mix from all over the place.

Use beefolks.com 5 gallon pail of Florida OB for $120. They are in MD so shipping to you should be about the same as Dutch Gold.

Just my 2 Rappen...

aenik

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 3, 2007
yabodie said:
Use neither. Miller's is on the left coast so shipping for you in NY will be nasty. Dutch Gold, in what I have received, never states the location their honey is from on their website, so you might get a mix from all over the place.

Use beefolks.com 5 gallon pail of Florida OB for $120. They are in MD so shipping to you should be about the same as Dutch Gold.

Just my 2 Rappen...
Well, seeing as how beefolks.com charge $36 more than millershoney.com for 5gals of OB, the advantage in shipping is lost. Millers ends up a few bucks cheaper for me than beefolks. I would buy beefolks over millers if their pails came with spouts, like dutch gold does. Does anyone who has bought from beefolks happen to remember?

hiddendragonet

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 27, 2006
I bought a pail of OB from Miller's in Feb. 06 and it was of phenomenal quality. The aroma in the meads it made is outstanding.

FWIW

Rhianni

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006
I recently went through every listing at the honey locator and compiled a little list. There seem to be plenty of places that will sell 5 gallons for $100 or less that I dont see much point in paying $120 which seems to be the standard

BeeFolks

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 9, 2006
www.beefolks.com
The Orange Blossom Honey from The Bee Folks is strained not filtered. It has pollen and wax particles, just not the large bee bits. This differs from those like Dutch Gold, who ultra-filters their product in order to reduce crystallization on the shelf.

We sometimes ship with buckets with spouts. If it is necessary, email me first before you order so I can check and see if I have that style lid in stock. Or, you can place the request in the comments section at checkout.

The times that it is necessary for us to heat our honey, we use just enough to be able to pump from the barrel and into the jar.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
For those of you who were at the Mead Festvial in February this year Lori's mother was there with her honey giving out samples and chatting up the attendees as they made the rounds from table to table. She had a great selection of excellent honeys to taste and was very genial and down to earth.

I got to taste some of the heather honey that Lori has in stock and it's freakin' awesome. I also like the mint, clover and buckwheat that she had on hand. I think the mint was actually my favorite out of all of them.

For those of you who don't know Lori has been a very strong supporter of the International Mead Festival's Home Mead Maker Competition, and this year she went so far as to spend the coin for a table on the show-room floor. It's really funny because while I was there I noticed that the people who started on the Bee Folks side of the festival floor were talkative and sober, while the people who were comming around from the other side of the showroom floor were smiling and not saying much! :drunken_smilie:

Cheers,

Oskaar

finburger

NewBee
Registered Member
May 23, 2006
I'm about ready to order some honey from Millers, but having trouble deciding between the sage and the OB and the wildflower.

This will be used to make a semi-sweet mead and some melomels. If any of the 5 gallons is left in the fall, it goes into a pyment or a cyser.

Has anyone used the sage or wildflower?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Miller's Sage and OB are excellent, I've used them both for years.

Also, someone was mentioning Western Buckwheat. Miller's has it in 5 gallon (2 buckets if I heard right) and 1 gallon buckets. I don't know the price as I did not query about prices, but call on Monday and ask for Patty.

Tell her Pete sent ya.

Oskaar

finburger

NewBee
Registered Member
May 23, 2006
Thanks, Oskaar.

I sent an email asking about the buckwheat. I'd like to try a mix of buckwheat and sage, perhaps 10 lbs each.
Either that or 10 lbs buckwheat and some local goldenrod.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oskaar said:
Miller's Sage and OB are excellent, I've used them both for years.

Also, someone was mentioning Western Buckwheat. Miller's has it in 5 gallon (2 buckets if I heard right) and 1 gallon buckets. I don't know the price as I did not query about prices, but call on Monday and ask for Patty.

Tell her Pete sent ya.

Oskaar
Thanks, Oskaar! I've been looking for it, and I sent them an email, but after nearly 2 weeks and no response I had pretty much given up on them. I'll give 'em a call on Monday!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns