PDA

View Full Version : Screwcap bottles?

jasonvgriffin
03-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Hello, I'm new to making mead and my first batch is half way done. I have some 12 oz bottles to store the mead in, but I also want to be able to have a couple wine bottles...the store that sells all the supplies here in town only sell bottles that you have to cork. Is it possible to store mead in bottles with a screw on cap and if so, is there a place online I can order them? Thx a bunch.

Jason

JamesP
03-05-2007, 11:09 PM
I get all the screw-cap wine bottles I need from the recycle bin of the local Tavern.

It just needs a bit of elbow grease to remove the labels and to sanitize the bottles.

youngmeadman
03-06-2007, 12:45 AM
I was wondering the same thing. I was thinking about bottling a braggot or a beer kit mad beer(gotta drink something while the mead is aging) in empty beer bottles.I have heard that you should not reuse screw on beer bottles, i don't know why though? I've seen caps for screw bottles so i don't see why not? anyways i'll be looking for an answer along with you!

YoungMeadman.

akueck
03-06-2007, 01:40 AM
Capping screw-top beer bottles is difficult for a homebrewer. The cap shape is different than the crown cappers we use is designed to close. So you may or may not get a good seal.

Screw-top wine bottles are ok, supposing you use the screw-top and don't try to crown cap it.

jasonvgriffin
03-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Aside from a local tavern, anyone know of a place to order screw top wine bottles?

WRATHWILDE
03-07-2007, 01:55 AM
Where are you located, so we can help you find somewhere close.

Wrathwilde

jasonvgriffin
03-07-2007, 02:54 AM
I found some online. Thx though.