PDA

View Full Version : Purging w/CO2

Chimerix
03-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Aloha all!

People often recommend purging carboys (and sometimes even bottles) with CO2 before transferring brewed materials into them. This is usually accompanied by the phrase "if you have the equipment."

Turn the page to alternate life Beta. I'm in a bicycle shop, asking for a junk wheel. See, I'm in charge of building a Rube Goldberg machine to be featured in a commercial, and part of it is a wheel trebuchet. Been working on it all day... good fun! Anyway, as I'm waiting for the friendly sales associate to rummage thru the trash, I notice various pocket-sized tire inflators that work off of CO2 cartridges.

So now I'm thinking... could "the equipment" be as simple as a $12 handheld bike tire inflator and a pack of BB gun cartridges?

Wolfie
03-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Yes.

a pack of BB gun cartridges is what I've got for my CO2 set up.
unless anyone else has their 2cents to throw in (mine causes me no problems).

Good score dude! :cheers:

~WOlfie

kace069
03-08-2007, 02:37 AM
Yes that would work great but... In the long run it will be expensive. I don't know exactly what those cartridges cost but I know they aren't cheap. I recently filled my new 20# tank for $15 and my 5# tank only costs $5 to fill.
All I need now is another regulator and I can join the co2 purge crowd.

Oskaar
03-08-2007, 09:42 AM
See here (http://morebeer.com/browse.html?category_id=1104&keyword=&x=1&y=1) for all the goodies you're talking about.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Rhianni
03-08-2007, 09:45 AM
That is a good way to think outside the box Chim but I would think it would be expensive in the long run compared to filling an actual tank.

Dan McFeeley
03-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Myself, I'm leery of anything that isn't food grade, including CO2 cartridges. Homebrew supply centers often carry CO2 cartridges made for use in brewing, etc., and nice little handheld gizmo to direct the gasflow.

richard lambert
03-08-2007, 12:01 PM
I go to the wine store and they sale a bottle of co2( to preseve wine) that you can use. It cost 7.00 and has lasted me a year,incuding the wine I drink>Richard

Wolfie
03-12-2007, 07:19 PM
I get my cartridges at the brew store, but I notice that some of them are no diff than paintball cartridges. One day I'll do a tank, as it is, my space is not set enough for such a thing--when I've got my own house with my own laboratory.... ::)

SpamDog
03-24-2007, 04:42 AM
I have seen the tire inflators you are talking about but at how much force does the CO2 come out? can you regulate it enough to just fill up a single bottle? I was thinking about trying out one of the full size paintball tanks (20oz i think?) and getting a regulator and setting it as low as it will go. I wouldn't want it to come out much faster than one of those air duster cans.. probably slower for topping off bottles

SpamDog

Brewing_one
05-19-2007, 11:13 PM
This (http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=18306) is a real convenient way to press up a corney keg if somehow you have one and no C02 rig. You regulate it manually.