PDA

View Full Version : Help with my mead...

Squench
03-17-2007, 06:17 PM
The recipe I used was Joe's Ancient Orange mead, but I didnt add alot of the components that the recipe requested. I used the honey, yeast and water. I wanted just a plain mead.

The first 3 weeks it bubbled fine, but then it stopped. In the recipe he states that it would stop bubbling and then turn clear after 2 months or so...

Can you look at my photo and tell me what I might need to do?

http://home.alltel.net/squench/images/Mead.jpg

Thank you for the help.

WRATHWILDE
03-17-2007, 07:34 PM
Because you didn't follow the recipe exactly don't expect it to follow the same path as JAO... the ingredients do make a difference for things such as fermentation times and clearing. My advice, is to let it sit another couple of months... if you've already racked off the lees. If you haven't, then rack and let sit for a few more months.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

Squench
03-17-2007, 08:07 PM
I guess I should have stated that this is my first mead also. :D I should have followed the directions. :-\

"My advice, is to let it sit another couple of months... if you've already racked off the lees."

Could you tell me how to rack off the lees or point me to an article (how to)? I am gonna search the forum.

Squench
03-17-2007, 08:40 PM
So racking the lees is just siphoning the clear off into another carboy type container?

How long do you think I can keep it on the lees? I need to get another container to siphon into.

finburger
03-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Did you use bread yeast?

Rack as soon as you can. It doesn't need to be tomorrow, but I wouldn't wait until summer either.

Squench
03-17-2007, 10:31 PM
Yes, I used the bread yeast from the recipe. If I rack the mead do I need to do anything other than wait for it to clear?

ucflumberjack
03-18-2007, 01:55 AM
dont forget to relax and have a homebrew. just wait it out.

Squench
03-18-2007, 11:48 AM
dont forget to relax and have a homebrew. just wait it out.

You know, I guess this is the advice I needed. ;) In the back of my mind I think it will turn
out, but you always have your doubts. When it stopped bubbling I kinda panicked. The mead looks
good and smells good. When your waiting for 2 months or more you really want it turn out kinda
right.

If you all have any other advice for a noob please send it my way... Next step for me will be to rack
and wait it out.

ucflumberjack
03-18-2007, 01:25 PM
what you made is called a show mead. its only honey, water, and yeast. next time look up some show mead recipes to figure out what kinds of nutrients to use to make sure it ferments all the way through quickly.