View Full Version : Poor Man's Cyser Question

03-19-2007, 03:32 PM
In the recipe for Poor Man's Cyser, it say to use 4-5 2 liter
coke bottles... My question is would I be able to use a gallon carboy instead? I prefer to use gallon carboy to coke bottles.

Thanks for helpin a Noob.

Link to the recipe:

03-23-2007, 07:35 AM
I'm going out on a limb a bit here since I don't know what the creator had in mind with this recipe, but here's my thought on that.

My thinking is that the Poor Man's Cyser uses 2-liter bottles because he was a poor man and didn't have enough money to buy a carboy. If you looked at this recupe as a "How can I make this cyser?" kind of thing it makes a sort of sense eh?

I've got some experiments brewing in plastic bottles right now as well as one in glass. Time will tell if I screwed the pooch on the plastic batches, but I can't see how putting your PMC in a glass carboy would hurt it. IMHO of course...

Hope that helps,

03-23-2007, 09:47 AM
it'll be fine either way. i would actually prefer to use the carboy personally.

03-23-2007, 10:36 AM
..and there you go. :: in a shameless ploy to add to my woefully low post count:: 8)

Seriously though, one of my experiments is actually a Poor Man's Cyser. I'm totally winging it right now though due to my rather primitive circumstances. I may have gone a bit light on my honey, but I won't know for sure for another week or so. I'll post it all when I get it finished. Let us know how this one turns out though, please...

BTW, welcome to the forum. :cheers:

04-06-2007, 08:29 AM
Well, I was right about the level of honey. I went to heavy on the cinnamon and too light on the honey in the must. I ended up using a cinnamon tea in the mix but used too much and it was flat out overwhelmingly cinnamon at first.

Fortunately, with a bit of backsweetening it was turned out nicely drinkable. A select few of us out here got together and made it go away fairly quickly. :drunken_smilie:

I've got one plastic water bottle left and I'm saving that one for just before I get out of here. My other "experiments" have pretty much proven undrinkable as yet, but I'm letting them age a bit more in hopes that they may mellow out a bit. I wasn't trying anything in particular so I didn't keep a brewlog on them. I was just messing around to deplete my supplies and to answer that age old question of "What will happen if I try this?" (I can't take them with me and I hate to throw stuff out.) Hopefully I'll at least be able to mix them with something else to make them palatable.

04-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Nice. I started my Poorman's a few days ago and cant wait to see my results.. I will post my results after my first week.

04-15-2007, 09:20 PM
From what I read on that recipe, the author's projected ABV of 16-18% is rather impossible. Using my past experience of 1.080 or so for the SG of apple juice, here's what I got:

1 gallon 1.080 sg apple juice
1 lb honey
1/4 cup sugar (8 tbsp = 4 fl oz, 1/2 of that in each pot)

Mead calculator puts that at an OG of 1.124, PABV 16.8%.

The problem here is that Fleichman's active dry bread yeast only has an alcohol tolerance of about 11% (that is based from three of my JAO batches and is by no means 100% accurate, it may go a little higher or lower depending on conditions). This is not to say that this drink does not have the potential to be drinkable, but instead that it is probably drinkable because of the lower alcohol content, and corresponding higher sugar content. I personally love sweet drinks.

Good luck with this!

04-15-2007, 11:37 PM
Using my past experience of 1.080 or so for the SG of apple juice

The apple juice I've used measured 1.048. 1.080 seems high for most fruit juices.

16-18% ABV does seem a little high for the recipe, but the point is not to make as much alcohol as possible, so it doesn't really matter. :D