• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

What are the top three beneficial things you've learned in the past year

Barrel Char Wood Products

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
So what did you learn here on gotmead.com or elsewhere that has improved your meadmaking over the last year.

Share what you found to be the three top things you learned to do, or applied or figured out on your own over the course of the past year that have improved your mead making.

Did you learn them here or from another source?

Cheers,

Oskaar

T

The Honey Farmer

1. Learned to make a good melomel. imho.

2. Learned to match the yeast to the honey. imho

3. Finally took Oskaar's advice and started to perfect my traditional meads.

A BIG thank you to Vicky, Oskaar, David Baldwin and everybody else on Got Mead.

Bee cool, Dennis 8)

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
I've learned everything I know about making good mead HERE. Over the course of past year the 3 most important things I've learned are:

1) The importance of Quality Ingredients
2) Varietal Honey types do indeed make a difference
3) Everything about yeast, yeast nutrients, and fermentation kinetics

Of course I've learned a lot more, but these are the most important to me with the exception of patience, which I have to learn on my own.

ucflumberjack

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2006
like GrantLee i learned everything i know here, so the list could be as vast as the entire content of this forum....I guess ill try to come up with something uniquie to my experiences with mead so far....

1) Do your research about each of the ingredients that your considering using in your mead.
2) Oxygenate and dose with nutrients per manufacturers directions.
3) Dont be afraid to call honey suppliers and ask them questions, dont make assuptions.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
I, too, have learned everything here. Top three have to be:
1) make mead.
2) drink mead.
3) lather, rinse, repeat.

;D

Just had some melomel last night; it was amazingly good. :cheers:

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
1. Proper nutrient dosage and schedule during the first 72 hours.
2. The importance of planning the batch carefully before mixing, matching the quantity of honey to the yeast to achieve the goal ABV.
3. That Fermaid K and Go-Ferm really are the greatest nutrients out there.

Angus

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
The most important things I've learned as a result of my time spent in this amazing community of mead entheusiasts.

In reverse order.

#3. Bees have a pointy end - avoid it if at all possible.

#2. Take accurate measurements/readings and keep detailed records.

#1. Patience Grashopper! Mead + Time + Oak = Unexpected Awards!

Chimerix

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006
it hasn't been a full year, but...

1. Oskaar knows all
2. What Oskaar doesn't, someone here does
3. Leave it the hell alone!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns