PDA

View Full Version : Second batch: Vanilla and and cinnamon dry mead

thomas_dc
04-15-2007, 11:07 AM
I just started my second batch of mead yesterday. The first one is still clearing, and admittedly not very good. I hope the taste will improve with aging.
Anyway, the second batch is 25 liters. 7kg's of honey with 6 vanilla beans and an 18cm piece of cinnamon crushed into the carboy.

I tried the "no heat" method this time, used a small bag of nutrient (for 25 liters it said) and a 16% yeast mainly for sherry.

The OG was 1085 wich will make about 11%alcohol when it finishes - if thats around 1000fg.

I'd like to try making this a "sparkling" mead, but figured that it wouldnt hurt to add a little honey to get a higher alcohol procent. But how much can i add and still be sure that is will finish fermenting? up to perhaps 14%? or should i just stick with the 11% i've figured out so far?

Also, when do i add the extra honey?

Thanks in advance,
Thomas

ucflumberjack
04-15-2007, 11:30 AM
to get the alcohol percent up you should add the honey up front. if you want it to sparkle with a 16% yeast you should probably get it up to 14%. to actually make it sparkle you should add honey or corn sugar right before you bottle. but you shouldnt bottle until it goes dry thuogh.

thomas_dc
04-15-2007, 11:53 AM
thanks, i'll go ahead and try that :)