PDA

View Full Version : Help me to not drink all me mead!!

Raleigh
04-19-2007, 09:04 PM
Please help......I have this bad habit of drinking all of my mead before it has reached perfection! Example: I started a six gallon batch around 1/11/07....Today is 4/19/07 and I have a good bit more than half left....By the time a year has passed Ill only have one bottle left....Do you guys out there just make enough, to where, even if ya drink some, you always have a lot left over.....ie. 18+ gallons??!! Or is this possibly just a common problem with newbies...(Ive only been brewing for, working on two years now.) I think I might just have to brew many gallons at one time then Im sure to have much left a year later....I bet this this is a common problem here amongst mead brewers, weather or not they admit it. Unlest they brew large quantities! yaaarg!! :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie:

beeboy
04-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Don't brew large quanities, brew two or three smaller batches. It's worked for me ;D I'm lucky to get six bottles left from a five gallon batch after a year so you are not alone in drinking up your mead when still young. Find a recipe you like and always keep some brewing for drinking while you have other recipes aging in the background. Just racked 5 gallons of a lemon/vanilla mead and 5 gallons of lemon wine, gotta love the "spillage" in a small glass.

Chimerix
04-20-2007, 01:23 AM
If I might offer my services...

First, let me say that I am a licensed professional, and have the extensive training, skills, and necessary equipment for this dangerous occupation. While my services won't come cheaply, you can rest assured that I will deliver on my promises to you.

I am a Domestic Tipple Warehouser, or DTW. My job is to store homebrewed libations. For a hefty fee, I will ensure that your wine, mead, beer or other fermented beverage, individually bottled and shipped at your expense, will be safely out of your way. For an added fee, I can guarantee that you need not be troubled by any subsequent interactions with me or my company, as long as monthly storage fees, annual taxes, and COLA rate hikes are received in timely fashion.

You may redeem up to 1 free sample after 5 years of storage, and a 2nd free sample at 15 years. Any other attempts at withdrawals will be met by inordinate fees, bureaucratic filibustering, and general avoidance techniques.

Please submit one case of various bottled beverages that you have produced recently, along with a non-refundable retainer. I'll advise you as to whether your wares qualify for my exclusive service.

akueck
04-20-2007, 01:55 AM
Yeah my suggestion is also to brew a bunch of batches, preferably started almost at the same time. And when you bottle, start another. Hopefully you'll run out of bottles soon, so that last batch you make is stuck in bulk aging until you can amass enough bottles. Hiding some older bottles behind/underneath younger brews is also a good tactic for me.

It took me 2 years to build up a stockpile of beer, but now I can safely sit on most of what I make for at least 3 months before opening more than a handful of bottles (for "testing"). And all the beer lying around helps keep me away from the mead, which I've been getting better about letting sit for at least 6 months. I even have 6 bottles of an imperial stout that's a month away from its first birthday--they're way up on a shelf that's a pain to get to, so I don't.

WRATHWILDE
04-20-2007, 01:31 PM
Chimerix,
Congratulations, You have written the funniest response to a post I've seen in months. I was beginning to despair at the lack of comic relief on the forums, glad to see all is not lost. Have fun people, and remember... the best way to get a moderators attention - Mine, Oskaar's, or Vicky's... is through the use of puns. Vicky will throw a virtual fit, but Oskaar and I will throw down our collective boreds and surf the waves till we're shore there's no more pun to be had.

Wrathwilde

Oskaar
04-20-2007, 01:49 PM
Listen, I don't want to be a pun-breaker but it ap-piers that Wrathwilde is piling on the puns as thick as jelly. So I'm urchin him to quit rip-ing with this tide of puns and hang-ten good reasons for not drinking up all his mead! On the other hand it may serve the other poster's porpoise to shell out the clams for Chimerix's kind offer as long as he's not scalloping you with undisclosed charges and hooking you into a bad deal. Best if we wait until this situation has been a-baited and I can review the contract and give it my seal of approval.

:laughing4:

Oskaar

WRATHWILDE
04-20-2007, 03:09 PM
Sea, Captian Oskaar Mines the Depths Fore Treasure that no Port Dregs can Fathom. I was expecting him to Slip Knotty gags about Maritime wenches... but perhaps I'm being to Littoral.

:cheers:
Wrathwilde

WRATHWILDE
04-21-2007, 01:04 AM
So I'm urchin him to quit rip-ing with this tide of puns and hang-ten good reasons for not drinking up all his mead!

Ten Reasons I don't drink up all me Mead...

1 ) It would be shellfish of me.
2 ) I'd have nothin' to bait all the other fish in the sea.
3 ) I'd be crabbie if my mead ran out.
4 ) It's fun brewing just for the halibut.
5 ) It's no fluke that I brew more batches than I can drink.
6 ) Drinking too much can make you feel crappie.
7 ) The Galley's much more impressive fully stocked.
8 ) I don't have any bluebottles.
9 ) Before one batch finishes fermenting... "make Morey" eel always say!
10) I otter know better than to drink a mead before its time.

:cheers:
Wrathwilde

ucflumberjack
04-21-2007, 01:58 AM
i havnt drank much of my mead so far becasue when i drink, its usually with my friends and they drink liquor and cheap beer. also because i made way more than i could drink in even a few months time all at once. almost all of the 20ish gallons of mead ive made so far was made with in 3-4 months time. now its all bulk aging, that helps. not to bottle it. if you dont bottle it, its kind of annoying to drink.... so dont buy bottles until you decide to bottle. if you want to get drunk but liquor and cheap beer instead of drinking up all your delicious mead.

Rhianni
04-24-2007, 03:02 PM
lol so i take a break and this is what happens. tomfoolary!

I have the same problem with my batches. I try to make 2 at at time. One to cure my impatience and one to let age.