• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Seeking Recipes

Barrel Char Wood Products

Chimerix

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006
Aloha all!

I've got 2 empty carboys, have hooked up with a local beekeeper, and am planning the next step. Which brings me to my observation (not a complaint... NEVER a complaint! ;D )

I don't know about the rest of you, but I do find it somewhat... inconvenient... to have multiple "official" places for the recording of recipes. The recipes database, the Mead Recipes and Recipe Results forum (which includes not 1 but 2 boards, Recipes and the Brewlog), and the Patrons Only Recipes forum.

Which, of course, excludes all the posting of recipes in other areas. It does make searching for the next recipe to try somewhat, well, time-consuming. Searching for "coffee," for example, yields 6 pages of hits to wade thru in hope of finding a recipe.

Personally, I rather like the idea of the database. I like how it can be broken into categories, and how the recipes never fall off into pages-gone-by.

I guess what I'm getting around to in my typical long-winded way, is suggesting that recipes from the various forums be systematically compiled and copied into the database, maybe even with links to the discussions in which they appeared. While we're at it, a sorting of the current database could be in order as well... I've found a few mis-classified recipes in there.

I hate people who make suggestions, no matter how well-intentioned, that make work for others. I get a lot of this in my life (as do we all, I'm sure). So let me volunteer my time and eyeballs to help.

Seriously... we're heading into summer, and I've got nothing but time on my hands. Let me help!

MtnBrewer

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 28, 2006
Having recipes in multiple places doesn't really bother me. The difference between recipes and brewlogs is that recipes is a conceptual blueprint for how to make something. But when it comes time to actually make it, deviations from the recipe can occur (for whatever reason). If the recipe is the blueprint, the brewlog is the "as built" drawing.

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
Hartford, Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Ahem... Since blueprints are "diagrammatic" by their nature, "As Built" drawing are a necessary part of any good project. In point of fact, no project can be completed with out many, Many, MANY "As Built" drawings. :laughing4:

Yep, I know exactly what was implied by that last statement having created countless stacks of the same. (Before I went into IT that is) :toothy10:

Chimerix does have a point regarding some of the recipes being possible misclassified ::sorry Vicky::, but I like the Brewlog the way it is. Also, the Patrons Only recipe section is that way for a reason and I'm not opposed to that either. Even being a Patron I don't consider myself knowledgable enough to even attempt some of those recipes let alone even understand some of the terminology in them. It's fun to consider them though for when I know more. ;)

Like him though I'm not about to complain about anything regarding the way the site is set up. I also mean it mearly as an observation I've noticed since finding GotMead.

I also have plenty of time on my hands for the next few weeks. Unfortunately, website design is not as yet a part of my skillset. I'm more of a network admin kind of guy at this point. I'll be making it a point to learn more about that area though, after I get my CCNP this summer.

I'm not one for creating work for others either when I can avoid it, so if there's anything I can ever do to help, just let me know and I'll be there.
:cheers:

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
If you select "Recipes" from the LH "Mead Menu", do you then get given a LH menu group (near bottom of page, above the Event Calendar) called "Recipes Navigation" that includes an item called "Add recipe" ?

If so, then you can copy & paste in recipes from the BrewLog.

Of course its best if the owner adds the recipes, because then it says the recipe was created by the correct person.

I have added heaps of recipes for Vicky, but then when you view any of the recipes, it says I was the creator, when in fact I was merely the data entry person :icon_pirat:

Note, most recipe titles have initials of the owner included in the title, to help distinguish between multiple recipes of the same name (imagine if every one added their own variation on Joe's Ancient Orange, you wouldn't be able to tell them apart from the title :icon_scratch:)

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
The ultimate goal *is* to have all the recipes in the database. However, that requires that they get entered there, and I just don't have time right now to mine the hundreds of recipes from the forum and place them in the DB. I was sort of hoping that folks would *discuss* their recipes in the forum, and *put* the recipe in the database to make finding it easier for others.

Chimerix, feel free to copy and paste any recipes from the forum to the database (Except patron area recipes, I'll be putting them in a patron-only section of the DB) to facilitate future searches. It is on my list, but I've too many other things before it right now to deal with it right away.

Thanks for the input folks.....

Chimerix

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006
Cool Beenz!

Ok, the semester dies in a couple of weeks. I'll put my money, and other people's recipes, where my mouth is then.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
::grin::

Thank you!! I appreciate the help!! One thing that would be good would be to link a recipe to its forum thread with a link in the recipe. Give it consideration, I think it will tie everything together....

Oh! And as you dig through the recipes in the forum and on the db, compile a list of major ingredients, i.e. honey varieties, fruits, spices, specific yeasts, and I can then create a cross-reference of ingredient categories to help people zero in on all recipes that have say blueberries in them. Or that have blueberries and use Montrachet yeast (or something like that). I'm not interested in little things like nutrients and such, more a list of major things that go in.

If anyone else wants in on the cross-reference, start surfing the existing recipe database, and make a list and shoot it to me. I'll start adding the categories on the backend to provide a cross reference.

Don't forget the beers and cordials!

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Chimerix said:
Ok, the semester dies in a couple of weeks.

:notworthy: I can't wait!!!

I'll start throwing my successful recipes into the db soon too. Only one more physics problem set to go!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns