PDA

View Full Version : Just completed my first racking...

da_rambler20
05-05-2007, 12:51 AM
So, I just racked my first mead today. The recipe is the one from Ken Schramm's book, the mead for beginners.

My only question is that now that it's in the carboy, it is extremely cloudy. Is this something that will hopefully go away with time? At what point should I think about using a fining agent?

Also, There is constant activity in my airlock. Is this also normal?

Thanks again. This is my first post here and I hope to learn a lot from all of you.

Jason

sandman
05-05-2007, 04:51 AM
First off, welcome to the forum Jason. :wave:

Second, chill out and relax and all will be well.

It sounds like you've likely got a bit of secondary fermentation still going on in your mead. That plus there's still a lot of CO2 in there that'll bleed off a bit over time. Clearing will come at it's own pace as well, but it will clarify as the finer particles settle out. It may take a few rackings in the end to get that accomplished.

Just let it be for now and enjoy the bubbling as it progresses. Patience is it's own reward when making mead.

Right now the best thing I can say is to read through everything you can on this site and in the forums. The main site has LOADS of good information. The forum is it's own reward when it comes to free knowledge about the do's and dont's of mazing. First thing as far as the forums go would be to read through the Newbies guide. Use the search tool often, research everything, ask specific questions, and have fun with your new obsessio... err... hobby, I meant to say hobby. :angel10:

I don't pretend to be overly knowledgable on this subject as yet, but this is the advice I've seen given time and again for questions like this.

Just remember... good meads come to those who wait.

Hope that helps; :cheers:

da_rambler20
05-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Thanks alot and it definitely is my new obsession. I know PATIENCE is the key to a great mead, but i am so excited to taste the final project that I want to get there as quick as possible. But, i just have to keep telling myself that good things come to those who wait.

Thanks again.

Jason

sandman
05-05-2007, 11:42 PM
:laughing4: Dude, you just described every single member of this forum in that one statement. LMAO!!!

Being patient sucks in the short run, but I'm taking it on faith here (I've only been around a few months) that time is the most critical ingredient in a good mead. Unless of course it's one of Joe or Lostnbronx's Flash recipes.

I was looking at that recipe in Ken's book as well. I've got a JAO working right now, but I may try that straight mead recipe of his when I start my next batch. I'm dying to get into some of the really in depth recipes, but I want to seriously learn the basics of mead making before I start messing with too many extra ingredients. Additives cover flaws in technique.

Now I'm going to quote Oskaar on this one. He'll probably laugh at me for doing it because of something we were just talking about, but I'm going to do it anyway. ::You can stop laughing now Oskaar:: :laughing7:

::loosly quoted:: "The biggest secret to making mead is to first learn to make a quality straight mead. Save the fruit, spices, etc for later. The better your abilities develop in this area, the better your meads will become."

That being said, try a batch of JAO sometime. It's basic, it's easy, and it makes a pretty good mead. It also only takes two to three months so you could be drinking that while some other batches are taking the long way home. ;)
:cheers:

da_rambler20
05-06-2007, 08:50 AM
I'm assuming that when you say "JAO" you mean "Joe's Ancient Orange"? Or is it something else?

Where is a good spot to find these JAO recipes?

Thanks again Sandman! :notworthy:

sandman
05-07-2007, 01:43 AM
Joe's Ancient Orange recipe can be found here:
Gotmead Forum | Mead Recipes and Recipe Requests | Recipes

After that you need to hit the main forum page and read the following sections at a minimum...

1. READ THIS FIRST: Forum Rules and FAQ's

2. Mead NewBees

3. General Mead Questions

4. The Hive

Use the search tool like it's your best friend (because it is)

Also I would HIGHLY recommend that you try the link right under Forums at the top left of the page that says "Making Mead" and read that article all the way through.

Once you get through all of that, you can browse the Brew Logs. There's a lot of good stuff in there too. ;)

I joke a lot with Vicky about never leaving the forums, but I've actually probably read most of the information on the main site since I first found GotMead.com

Keep one more thing in mind if you start getting frustrated or impatient. I haven't really even gotten started mazing yet aside from a few minor experiments. I've been sitting over here in the Big Sandbox for the past 17 months. Most of what I'm doing so far is planning and being patient. My avatar isn't a joke... I see herds of those things almost every day over here. 100% of my current knowledge level (which I assure you is minimal) has come from reading materials and posts here at GotMead. That and poring over Ken's book that I got sent out to me through Amazon. Now tell me three months is hard to wait for a batch of JAO. LOL

Fortunately for me, my wonderful wife started a batch at home that will be timed to be completed for my homecoming this summer. Once I get there I'll start aquiring my mazing gear and getting down to business. Up until now it's been purely experimental on my part. I am however looking forward to many long and enjoyable years of mead-making with her once I get back.

I hope that gives you some good info as well as some perspective while you wait for your latest batch to get done.

::This has been a public service announcement... We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking...:: :laughing7:

:cheers: Cheers

sandman
05-07-2007, 03:02 AM
I googled "Joe's Ancient Orange" and got several links. Joe's recipe has spread far and wide among home brewers. Of course, most of them point to locations on this site, but he's out there in other places as well.

Just goes to show you that when you find something good it'll get around. Joe has undoubtledly helped hundreds (thousands?) to get started by this point.

Thanks Joe!! :cheers:

da_rambler20
05-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Fortunately for me, my wonderful wife started a batch at home that will be timed to be completed for my homecoming this summer. Once I get there I'll start aquiring my mazing gear and getting down to business. Up until now it's been purely experimental on my part. I am however looking forward to many long and enjoyable years of mead-making with her once I get back.

I hope that gives you some good info as well as some perspective while you wait for your latest batch to get done.

::This has been a public service announcement... We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking...:: :laughing7:

:cheers: Cheers

Thanks again. I was thinking of putting all this info in a binder for myself. Oh, and stay safe and get home soon.