PDA

View Full Version : Residual Sugar Percentages For Higher ABV Meads

evenstill
05-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Iím going to be brewing a 3 gallon batch of sweet hive mead with an ABV of about 18%. Iíve read numerous places that the higher the ABV the more residual sugar is needed to achieve the proper balance but canít seem to find any suggestions as to how much (g/l). I figure if a ďtypical meadĒ (12-14% ABV) is considered dry at anything below 1% residual sugar, medium sweet from 1-2% residual sugar, sweet from 2-3% residual sugar, and dessert at anything above 3% residual sugar then meads with an ABV of 14-16%, 16-18%, and 18-20% would require an adjustment to the residual sugar percentages to achieve the same balance. Any suggestions?

Luck,
evenstill

akueck
05-06-2007, 11:10 PM
Well, I don't have any numbers for you, but I have an idea that might be a fun experiment.

First, get a dry mead of 18%ABV. (this can be a fun exercise all on its own) Take some small measured samples and add measured amounts of sugar (diluted honey, corn sugar, etc). Taste a flight of these with varied sugar contents and decide which one you like best. The "what is dry" guidelines vary from person to person anyway, so this way you'll have a personalized scale for the future.

Let us know the results if you undertake this exercise!