• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Still Not Seeing Any Activity

Barrel Char Wood Products

evenstill

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 5, 2007
I started a 3 gallon batch of hive mead on Saturday 05/05/07 with the following recipe:
8lbs 4oz raw wildflower honey
2oz ground bee pollen powder
1oz propolis powder
1oz freeze dried royal jelly powder
Wyeast 4184 Sweet Mead liquid yeast starter
I dissolved the honey & ½ of the bee products in purified water, keeping the heat below 95F. I had activated the yeast several hours prior and the pouch had swollen quite nicely. I pitched the yeast and covered the carboy securely with cheese cloth, stirring vigorously about 10 times throughout the first 24 hours to aerate then attached the airlock. The stats where:
Original Gravity: 1.110 at 22.7c (1.114?)
Sugar by weight: 27%?
Potential alcohol content by volume: 15.41%?
Potential alcohol content by weight: 12.33%?
I’m still not seeing any activity and am getting a little worried. Should I wait a little longer or just pitch another yeast? If you think I need to pitch another yeast which one should I use, 71B? I’m already going to be brewing another 3 gallon batch with Lalvin K1V-1116. Any other suggestion?

Thanks,
evenstill

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
Hartford, Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Everything I've read about the Wyeast Sweet Mead yeast says that it can be a very temperamental yeast. In fact, I haven't really seen anyone actually give it good marks as yet. It's one of those yeasts that take constant attention throughout the fermentation process and I think it'll take a few nutrient doses along the way as well.

By purified water do you by any chance mean distilled water? Distilled water has had all of the nutrients and minerals removed. That's also going to make this a difficult brew. (Once again, this is just from what I've read throughout the site in various posts and threads)

Example: http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=2&topic=5051.msg41235#msg41235

Whether or not to repitch another yeast isn't something I'm comfortable suggesting, but for future reference you might want to consider this experience.

I can point you to the search engine, but aside from that, hopefully someone else will come along soon and give you some more specific advice on this one.

Sorry I'm not more help yet.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Liquid yeasts (like Wyeast and Whitelabs) generally have lower cell counts than dry yeast packages. Pitching a liquid yeast pack into 5 gallons of 1.040 must is ok, for anything with more sugar than that you should make a starter to build up the cell count before pitching.

So, since you've already pitched and a starter is out of the question, I suggest you keep aerating and add more nutrients than you were planning on (use fermaid or DAP if you've got it, 1g/gallon). You should start to see activity soon, once the yeast stops reproducing and starts fermenting. Aeration and nutrients will make sure your yeast gets to the right cell density without tiring itself out first.

So keep stirring and you'll be fine. ;D

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns