PDA

View Full Version : Batch size ingredient scaling.

zionpsyfer
05-17-2007, 11:05 PM
Greetings all, wonderful site! I'm currently on my 3rd and 4th batches(fourth being JAO). So far it smells delicious.

I'd like to make a five gallon batch as my friends will no doubt help me suck down most of the one gallon down before the corker is even put away. I've not seen much in the way of rules for scaling ingredients though. Honey would obviously scale with the water, but what about other ingredients such as the oranges,cinnamon, cloves and allspice?

I'd hate to end up over/under spicing.

edit: I did search for ingredient scaling here and google. The one article I found was this one (http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=301&topic=4059.0). This seems to imply all things scale evenly? True?

Kwatt
05-17-2007, 11:53 PM
Greetings all, wonderful site! I'm currently on my 3rd and 4th batches(fourth being JAO). So far it smells delicious.

I'd like to make a five gallon batch as my friends will no doubt help me suck down most of the one gallon down before the corker is even put away. I've not seen much in the way of rules for scaling ingredients though. Honey would obviously scale with the water, but what about other ingredients such as the oranges,cinnamon, cloves and allspice?

I'd hate to end up over/under spicing.

Welcome zionpsyfer

So far I have done 1, 3, 5 and 6 gallon batches. I just multiplied the ingredients. They all came out fine. Although I have read posts which stated multiples of the yeast may not be required. Why take a chance?

If for some reason I could not get the amount of yeast. I would rehydrate it to get a head start.

I now have a 54 Liter (14.2 gallon) demi-john. I plan to test the 14x's soon...

As to the friends help, you will find out most are willing to test a bottle for you any time you need it! :laughing7:

Since I started making this last summer. I have got 2 co-workers at my last job making JAO's after letting each test a 12 oz. bottle. I put together a "kit" containing a empty 1 gallon juice jug with a cap, 36 inches of 5/16 hose, a stopper and a print out of Joe's recipe. Last time I spoke with them each was still meading and scaling up!

Give someone mead and he will drink for a day.
Teach someone to mead and keep him out of yours >:D

Kwatt

zionpsyfer
05-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Now that's scaling up! You'll have to let us know how that batch turns out.

I was thinking along the same lines with the yeast. More honey, more water, more space for the yeasties to play. ;D

I might have to make a kit like that up for a few friends, they might not have the patience for the more common ways.. Ok, they've got the attention span of a potato >:D But JAO is a different story altogether.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Kwatt. :cheers: