• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Yet another odd smell

Barrel Char Wood Products

RunLengthLimited

NewBee
Registered Member
May 28, 2007
So ... I have been a brewer for the past decade and I decided to try a mead. Simple recipie: 12# Clover Honey, yeast nutrient, package of red star dry champagne yeast, water to 5 gal. I finally brought it up from the cellar after 10 months and it's a nice, sweet beverage but it's got an odd smell. Definitely something out of organic chemistry, estery, slightly fruity, slightly reminiscent of band-aids.

Hasn't killed me yet but I'd like to avoid it in future batches. ;)

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
What you have there are phenolic flavors with some estery flavors

A couple of questions for you:

What kind of clover honey did you use (Costco, Sams, or was it from a honey farm}?

What kind of container was the honey in (thick plastic bucket, thin plastic jug)?

At what temperature did you ferment your mead (above/below 75F)?

What did you use to sanitize your equipment (bleach, iodophor, StarSan, etc.)?

Lemme know,

Oskaar

RunLengthLimited

NewBee
Registered Member
May 28, 2007
I obtained the honey from a reliable brewing supply house that I use (Midwest). It looks like they buy bulk and repackage it because it came in a thin plastic plastic "milk" jug with their sticker applied.

The mead fermented in my cellar, and I haven't done temperature readings down there, but if I had to guess I'd say the temp. varies from 50 - 80 farenheit depending on the season. I really should get a thermometer.

I use bleach to sanitize my equipment.

Thanks Oskaar

RLL

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
OK, good answer.

I buried the bleach in the other questions so as not to "bias" the answers you gave. many times the bandaid flavor is a result of not rinsing enough when using bleach as a sanitizer. I'd recommend RABID, NEUROTIC and generall COMPULSIVE rinsing with copious amounts of scalding hot water...or you could just switch to Iodophor or Star San and not have to hassle with the rinsing.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Chimerix

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006
Hey! Some people actually LIKE the taste of old band-aids! I remember this kid back in 3rd grade... he'd eat any old band-aids that other kids were willing to part with.

Funny thing... he grew up to be a doctor, and specialized in ailments of the gastrointestinal tract.

Genuine faux verite story!

RunLengthLimited

NewBee
Registered Member
May 28, 2007
Hmm, so the bleach may be the culprit. Of the more sophisticated sanitisers which do you prefer?

Any way to rescue the current batch?

RLL

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns