PDA

View Full Version : Siphon question

da_rambler20
06-02-2007, 05:19 PM
How do you attach a coffee filter to a siphon hose?

Thanks again.

Leonora
06-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Try a rubber band.

I use tulle, a fine nylon net, to strain the mead out of the fruit glop on the bottom of the carboy.

It may get tough to remove the filter from the neck of the carboy after it is loaded with glop, but just slip it from the cane. You can retrieve it when you pour the rest of the lees out. I can just get a couple of fingers in the neck and fish it out.

Be sure to sanitize the whole kit!

Good luck,
Leonora

Oskaar
06-03-2007, 01:13 PM
Panty hose work pretty good too.

One leg for the dip into the carboy, and one over the end of the out tubing into the receiving vessel.

Sanitize well, use a fresh set of panty hose from the store! Don't ask me how I got started on this but it all started with a conversation about how I use condoms when I hunt in the rain! Anyone who's a shooter will know what I'm talking about.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Chimerix
06-04-2007, 12:10 AM
...ask me how I got started on this but it all started with a conversation about how I use condoms when I hunt in the rain! Anyone who's a shooter will know what I'm talking about.

Dude! I thought I made that up!

Another good use for pantyhose I got from my father-in-law... leeches can't bite thru 'em. Ever seen a bunch of manly-men donning pantyhose before heading out for some extended pig hunting in marshy terrain? It's, well, something to remember!