PDA

View Full Version : Using Fruit Reduced Into A Symple Syrup

evenstill
06-12-2007, 04:25 PM
I was thinking about blending up some plums and watermelons, straining off the pulp, and then reducing the juice into a simple syrup to flavor my next batch of mead. I would probably add the pulp to the primary too in a muslin bag or something.
Does anybody have any experience with this sort of thing?
Do you think I should add all the syrup to the primary, put half of it in the primary and half in the secondary, or put it all into the secondary?
Should I reduce the plum juice and watermelon juice separately then add one of them in the primary and the other in the secondary?
If I did it this way which one would be best in the primary and which in the secondary?

Thanks,
evenstill

JamesP
06-12-2007, 11:12 PM
Watermelon spoils very quickly.

You may want to add lemon juice to reduce oxidization (no experience here, just what I've heard).

If you are adding watermelon pulp to the fermenter, I would add it to the secondary, so that the yeast are already working on the plum, and there is lots of Co2 in the must. Just add very carefully so it doesn't cause a volcano of foam.

theshadowhammer
06-14-2007, 10:11 PM
i did a watermelon mead last july put the watermelon(seedless) in the mesh bag and straight into primary it fermented fine but desolved into almost nothin. it is mostly water. i used like 3 melons. and it still does not have much water melon flavor. might add more this summer i can dig through my journal and get notes if u need em