PDA

View Full Version : Best way to mix must?

Pooh
06-15-2007, 08:52 PM
I have a hard time getting the honey to fully dissolve. I stir like a mad man but it still seems to stratify. What do people do?

akueck
06-15-2007, 10:25 PM
You can gently heat (to say 90 F), which will help the honey flow out of the containers and help with the dissolving without altering it significantly otherwise. When I make 1 gallon batches, I put the cap on the jug and shake (while it's 2/3 full) until it dissolves; that doesn't take too long usually.

If you're not one for SG readings, a little stratification is ok. The yeast will mix it up when the fermentation starts, and you can (and often should) stir for a few days after pitching.

Oskaar
06-15-2007, 11:05 PM
I just WTC outta the must with a lees stirrer, haven't seen a honey yet that won't blend using one.

cheers,

Oskaar

WRATHWILDE
06-16-2007, 02:22 AM
I just WTC outta the must with a lees stirrer, haven't seen a honey yet that won't blend using one.

I second that, a lees stirrer is a must have item for larger batches.

Wrathwilde

Pooh
06-16-2007, 02:26 PM
My drill gets used for a lot of dirty jobs (such as chicken coop repair). I worry that using it above the must will contaminate. Do others share thsi concern? Do I need to worry about hot side aeration like you do with beer? Thanks

Oskaar
06-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Get another drill if it's going to present issues.

Hot side aeration is not an issue with mead because you don't have to heat mead. Braggot may be susceptible, but I've honestly never given it a second thought.

Cheers,

Oskaar