PDA

View Full Version : Eh up again - any new Brits??

exmoor_cat
06-17-2007, 10:16 AM
Nice new layout :)

Also, anyone else this side of the pond? I know I aks every six months or so, but there's a lto of new members since.

Regards

Adam

Oskaar
06-17-2007, 04:24 PM
Hya Adam!

Good to see you back. How's things in Jolly Olde?

Oskaar

exmoor_cat
06-18-2007, 12:18 PM
Going well thanks Oskaar! I'm currently standardising recipes and am about to embark on looting the British Library for old ones. also, am leading a business venture to set up a meadery in London, it is an immensely complicated process and is fun at the same time. I might actually start blogging about it at some point soon, bit too crazy at the moment though. We just own a free training/mentoring and grant from the local enterprise agency for London with it!

Oskaar
06-18-2007, 09:25 PM
Nice dude!

I hope that all works for you. How cool would it be to have a meadery in London! You get that thing open and I'll be there haunting your aging tanks! LOL

Cheers,

Oskaar

exmoor_cat
06-20-2007, 08:37 AM
Lol, am sure to post the launch here! Must admit it's been ai nteresting exercise to balance length of time v sales imperatives.

VRP
07-04-2007, 03:59 PM
I've just joined from Somerset. :wave:

Am on my second batch having had a recipe reading disaster with the first lot. :icon_puke_r:

With any luck the next lot will more palatable.

Lucifer
07-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Well hello there, been Meadmaking in England for a couple of years, finally got round to actually using the account I registered here yonks ago. This be my delurk.

exmoor_cat
07-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Coolio. Whereabouts are you? I'm in London!

Lucifer
07-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Currently I'm in South Lincolnshire (The honey here is amazing) but come September I will be off to Uni, either oop north in in Scotland.

exmoor_cat
07-12-2007, 03:53 AM
Sounds good! I wish the honey here was a)wonderful and b) reasonably priced. The local BBKA lot are friendly enough, but London's a strange place.

Lucifer
07-17-2007, 06:31 PM
The local honey here is good, but it certainly isn't reasonable priced :(

ken_schramm
07-21-2007, 11:30 AM
So how big a mead making community is there in the UK these days? I'm wondering if there might be an advantage to setting up a co-op with an importer so that perhaps we could ship over some good US honey at lower cost, so you all could make mead without having to sell household belongings. With the price of honey high, is there more meadmaking activity among the beekeeping set?

My family and I would love to be able to come over for a speaking engagement and possibly write off some of the expense. After we get at least one kid out of college, though.

Ken

Lucifer
07-25-2007, 02:39 AM
So how big a mead making community is there in the UK these days? I'm wondering if there might be an advantage to setting up a co-op with an importer so that perhaps we could ship over some good US honey at lower cost, so you all could make mead without having to sell household belongings. With the price of honey high, is there more meadmaking activity among the beekeeping set?

My family and I would love to be able to come over for a speaking engagement and possibly write off some of the expense. After we get at least one kid out of college, though.

Ken

Hmm...I've no idea, I don't really fit into a community of mead-makers I just get on with it, but I would say that it would take a very big stick to prize me away from Lincolshire honey, regardless of cost.

exmoor_cat
07-26-2007, 09:02 PM
Hi Ken,
what sort of honey import levels are we talking here and at what prices? I'm still scouting sources (just came back from Bulgaria - 45C heatwave). UK honey is both expensive (but very nice) and rarely gets organic status. PM me