• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Should I fill the carboy to the top?

Barrel Char Wood Products

JJMEAD

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 22, 2007
Moderated

Please do not use all caps in your subject line, it is against forum etiquette, and many here consider it rude (including me ;) ) Oskaar

I feel pretty confident that I can make good mead now from doing alot of research. I just bought another 6 gallon carboy to rack from my other 6 gallon carboy. here is my question. My recipe is for a 5 gallon batch. When I rack into my other 6 gallon carboy should I fill the empty space with more water?. I was told I should have as little space as possible in the carboy during the second stage. I was planning on making just a straight mead for my first time just to go through the motions. I don't want to dilute my mead at all but if I need to fill it to the top maybe I should add fruit? Any advice would be great!

zionpsyfer

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 17, 2007
Denver
I'm no expert, so keep that in mind. This is just how I would approach this.

Where is your fermentation at? This would be the critical question for me. If you are still getting a few blips per minute then the batch is still putting off enough CO2 that having that extra headspace wouldn't concern me too much as far as oxygenation is concerned. If fermentation is pretty much done, then I'd rack to a five gallon for bulk aging and drink the leftovers. If you do leave it in the 6 gal, be cautious in regards to contamination. Be especially diligent about sterilization when you take samples. Wipe down the bunghole and bung with vodka/your favorite sterilizing agent every time (you do this anyway right?). That extra uncovered space could be a foothold for nasties.

Another method I've heard of (if you don't want to add fruit) is using sterilized marbles dropped in to fill up the remaining space.

JJMEAD

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 22, 2007
First I would like to appologize to oskaar for the caps. It won't happen again ;D. Thanks for the advice zionpsyfer. I am starting fermentation this sunday. I went ahead and just ordered 2 5 gallon carboys that should be here in time to rack. I figured I would just do it the right way. But that marble trick was really a great idea. So now that I have 2 sets of 5 and 6 gallon carboys I can just make more mead ;D! Thanks again for the help and this web site is wonderful!

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
I'd advise against the marbles as they're really not needed for active fermentation headspace issues, as noted above... the better bet is racking into a smaller carboy to minimize headspace, you can also drop by your favorite liquor/wine store and buy a bottle of "Wine Preserver", usually a Nitrogen, CO2 & Argon gas mix... that will help protect your Mead while bulk aging if you have excessive headspace, even if you have little headspace it is added protection and recommended. Once you expand your hobby you'll probably want to pick up a 5 lb CO2 tank and use CO2 to blanket your aging meads, much cheaper in the long run than the wine saver canisters.

Marbles can chip each other and your Carboys if you're not careful, mmm... glass shards mead.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns