PDA

View Full Version : ***CRITICAL*****: GOTMEAD WILL BE DOWN SUNDAY JULY 15: MAINTENANCE

webmaster
07-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Hi gang,

You may have noticed that GM has been down a couple times in the last few weeks. This is because the host that we use is apparently not ready to handle a large, heavy traffic site like Gotmead. So, in order to keep them from shutting us down for excessive resource usage again, I will be making an emergency site change to a new host.

***************************CRITICAL*************** *******************

THE SITE WILL BE OFFLINE SUNDAY MORNING UNTIL LATE SUNDAY, JULY 15, 2007. WE WILL BE MOVING TO A NEW SERVER, AND DURING THIS TIME, GOTMEAD WILL BE UNAVAILABLE.

IF YOU ARE A PATRON, AND HAVE EMAIL STORED IN YOUR @GOTMEAD.COM EMAIL, YOU MUST DOWNLOAD IT TO YOUR LOCAL COMPUTER IF YOU WISH TO SAVE YOUR MAIL. OTHERWISE IT WILL BE LOST WHEN WE MOVE.

I am sorry for this inconvenience, but it is necessary to avoid the site being shut down again by current host. We will be moving to a host that specialized in high-traffic and database-driven sites.

Thanks!!!

wayneb
07-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Hey, Vicky! Good Luck -- server moves are no fun, especially when they're made under duress. Too bad they didn't let you know in advance that they couldn't support the traffic - they could've at least posted an excessive traffic notice when we tried to access the site instead of putting up the generic "Forbidden Access" msg! :protest:

Anyway, does the "email will be lost upon move" apply to any saved Inbox PM's that we might have, or only to emails?

webmaster
07-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Email losses refers only to @gotmead.com emails. All PMs, and other things already in the forum will be saved.

MtnBrewer
07-16-2007, 02:33 PM
The move to the new server seems to have been successful. Well done! So far I haven't noticed any problems and also page loads seem to be much snappier. :notworthy:

Oskaar
07-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Page load averages are MUCH quicker than the old host.

Hip Hip Hurrah!

Cheers,

Oskaar

webmaster
07-16-2007, 02:41 PM
Yeah, now I just have to figure out why Patron home pages won't load, and searches return errors. Working on it.......

Arjan
07-17-2007, 02:40 AM
Page load averages are MUCH quicker than the old host.

Hip Hip Hurrah!

Cheers,

Oskaar

yep really improved.

another thing that might help, but i dont know if that might be a case here since i cant see wether the guests are in fact spider bots.
On my own community i had to cut down the Yahoo slurp spider from crawling my site. it had about 300+ instances of the bot crawling it simultaneously.

a simmple addition to the robot.txt reduced the number from 300+ to approx 25, and really improved the performance.

User-agent: Slurp
Crawl-delay: 60

Oskaar
07-17-2007, 04:19 AM
Yup, already done. They at one time had a couple of hundred connections so we throttled them back to 50 or 60 if I remember right.

Cheers,

Oskaar