PDA

View Full Version : open vs closed fermentation

Arjan
07-16-2007, 01:06 PM
(since the search isnt working atm ill post my question right away..)

As i am browsing through the different recipes and techniques for mead making it kinda makes no sense to me when to use an open fermentation or a closed fermentation.

At first i though an open fermentation is used for pushing ingredients back to the bottom, but i also encountered recipes that had nothing to push down, but still "recommend"/describe open fermentation.

Most descriptions just say do this ..do that.. but i want to know why ;-)

hope someone can help me understand the difference between them and when to use.

cheers
Arjan

Oskaar
07-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Open fermentation is simply just not sealing your fermentation vessel with an airlock. In the case of meads that have floaties that need to be mixed in, pressed down, or thwacked about during the first half of fermentation, it's simply easier to cover the top of the bucket, carboy, keg, jug or whatever else you are using with a sanitized cloth for a couple of reasons:

1. Ease of access to must for checking gravity and tasting
2. Ease of access to must for cap management and aeration
3. Access of yeast to oxygen when they need it early in the fermentation
4. Visualization of the must activity in the vessel itself
5. Temperature vent to help keep overall temp from rising and killing yeast, which causes a stuck fermentation
6. Convinient for adding ingredients to the must as it ferments
7. Causes most beer brewers to recoil in fear and loathing

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

wayneb
07-16-2007, 02:21 PM
...and keep in mind, "thwacked about" is the technical term! :drunken_smilie:

ucflumberjack
07-16-2007, 06:05 PM
man....u kill me..... once in a while ill be reading an innocent post and then there it is, something weird/hillarious im oskaars post.... do you do this on purpose or is it just in your nature to use funny words when giving serious answers????

thwacked about.... hahahahahha!!!!!!!!!

Oskaar
07-16-2007, 07:00 PM
LOL,

I do it on purpose when I get a comment back from someone on the board I know that someone has finally read the entire post. LOL

I do that with memos as well, when I have a bullet list I'll slip in off the wall comment and wait for someone comment on it. I works, now they all read the whole memo to see what comment I've made.

Cheers,

Oskaar

ken_schramm
07-16-2007, 09:25 PM
While inhaling deeply, it is also much easier to stick your entire face into an open fermenter.

Ken

Oskaar
07-16-2007, 09:29 PM
Fraack! I knew I forgot something! LOL

Ken, sometimes you scare me man!

Pete

ucflumberjack
07-17-2007, 01:19 AM
lol you guys are nuts. i dont know if you ever saw the documentary kind of show they did about the creators of southpark but thats one of the things they do when they write the script. they add in totally unrealted lines such as {i hate you tim}, tim is one of the animators. or {fuck canada, canada sucks}. tim is canadian.