PDA

View Full Version : Spiced Cyser: Cold Crashing Problem?

evenstill
08-04-2007, 05:35 PM
3 ½ months ago I started two 1 gallon batches of spiced Cyser using the same recipe (except for the yeast). The ingredients I used are:
Central Market organic apple cider
2½ lbs raw wildflower honey
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp ground cardamom
1 bag of Numi Jasmine Green Tea
Peel from 1 orange
Peel from 1 lemon
1 tsp real vanilla extract
3 oz ground bee pollen
Yeast (Lalvin K1V-1116 for one batch and Wyeast 4632 for the other)

Last weekend they looked almost perfectly clear (I didn’t actually try but could probably have read through the bottles) so I put them in the fridge to cold crash before bottling. I checked them today and they seem to have grown darker in color and quite a bit hazier so that now I can hardly even see through them at all. >:( ??? I tried wiping the jugs with a cloth to see if it was just some sort of moisture condensation or something but that didn’t help. What’s going on? Is this normal? Will they clear when returning to room temperature? Do I need to use a round of bentonite or sparkloid or both? HELP!

Thanks,
evenstill

wildaho
08-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Did you heat or boil your apple juice before mixing it all together? If you did, you may be seeing a pectin haze. Pectin is activated in many fruits by heating. Apples are pretty high in it.

I know on some beers I've had a "chill haze" form sometimes from proteins left over from not boiling enough! But that's a different cause than what you're seeing, I think. On the beers, I've always had good luck with finings.

evenstill
08-04-2007, 09:04 PM
Not really. I warmed up some of the juice to 95 degrees to dissolve the honey into but nothing other then that. Perhaps I should add some pectic enzyme & bentonite?

Oskaar
08-04-2007, 11:11 PM
Don't add anything yet. You probably have chill haze going on.

Let it crash for a couple more weeks, and then let it come back up to 65 to 70 degrees gradually and see what happens. There's plenty of time to fine the mead if that's what ends up being the solution. For the time being just be patient and let it do it's thing.

Cheers,

Oskaar