PDA

View Full Version : Alternate forms of nutrition - DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!!

Angus
08-07-2007, 04:11 PM
I recently read a book about Rum by Wayne Curtis called "And a Bottle of Rum: A History of the New World in Ten Cocktails." Great read!

One passage describing the early Rum made in Barbados, Killdevil, had this little piece of advice:

"rum's fermentation was sometimes jump-started with a bolus of manure or an animal carcass."

Who needs DAP or energizer anymore? Just dig up Fluffy from the back yard and throw him in. And as for the chore of cleaning out the litter box, now you can consider it harvesting for your nitrogen needs. :icon_puke_r:

It also advised the plantation owner to prevent the drinking of the fermented molasses by urinating or defecating in it prior to distillation. Useful idea for us Mead makers with overly active cellar rats?
:laughing7:

Angus

ucflumberjack
08-08-2007, 06:49 PM
i saw a show on tv network where a guy was traveling with his friend somewhere in korea. they were up in the mountains, real real rural place and they went to a "resteraunt". they served some distilled liquor with dinner, in the carboys that held the liquor were animal carcasses.... they considered it a delicacy. the alcohol would kill anything that might make you sick right?

Arjan
08-09-2007, 02:39 AM
If i remember right theres also a beer that is fermented with a rat in the barrel. They once discovered it by accident but found out it gave an explicit nice taste to it after all

David Baldwin
08-20-2007, 05:30 PM
Angus,

I deeply resemble that cellar rat accusation!

Here's an interesting quote from Snopes.com

The Arab historian Abd el Latif wrote in the thirteenth century of a group of treasure hunters who found an ancient sealed jar of honey while exploring the tombs beneath the Egyptian pyramids. They settled down to a delicious lunch, dipping their bread into the jar, until one of the diners pulled out a human hair. A quick investigation revealed the preserved body of a child curled up at the bottom of the jar. The historian credits the story to "an Egyptian worthy of belief." If he had checked further, we suspect he would have encountered the familiar chain of friends of friends of friends.

[/i]

storm1969
08-20-2007, 07:39 PM
Can't try this at home?

Then why did I bring the dead skunk home? >:D

David Baldwin
08-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Can't try this at home?

Then why did I bring the dead skunk home? >:D

I've heard of skunky beer...

...that's ONE way to keep the chief cellar rat out of the stash. "Now which barrel did I put that skunk in?"

the4th
02-27-2008, 02:58 PM
i saw a show on tv network where a guy was traveling with his friend somewhere in korea. they were up in the mountains, real real rural place and they went to a "resteraunt". they served some distilled liquor with dinner, in the carboys that held the liquor were animal carcasses.... they considered it a delicacy. the alcohol would kill anything that might make you sick right?

This was probably the episode of Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" where he went up in to the mountains of Vietnam. At the establishment you speak of, did he eat "Some sort of squeezle" that ended up being porcupine? My 13 year old daughter and I laughed our butts off over that.

beachfrontmeadman
02-27-2008, 03:43 PM
If i remember right theres also a beer that is fermented with a rat in the barrel. They once discovered it by accident but found out it gave an explicit nice taste to it after all

if i was you i'd listen to the song "good rats" by dropkick murphys