PDA

View Full Version : My first batch, tasted (couldn't resist).. How do I backsweeten?

bjswift
08-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Ok, so I tasted my first batch tonight (just after I racked it from the 2gallon fermenting bucket to a 1gallon glass jug.) It smelled very yeast-y and tasted like light bubbly champagne. I could not taste any honey, and paniced, so I put in about a half pound more honey. Here was my recipe:

2.5lb Clover Honey
1gallon Water
Lime peel (not white stuff)
Fermax 1tsp
1/2 packet red star champagne yeast

Since I decided to pour about another 1/2 pound of honey into the 2nd fermenter, how do I stir it up? I don't want to shake the hell out of it, for it might spill all over the place, so I have been twisting and rotateing the jug. Will the honey (which is now collected at the bottom) soon mix in with the liquid nautrally, or do I have to keep stiring it up every day or so?

Thanks for any insight! PS, please reassure me it will taste (after aging) more like wine instead of drinking bread (yeast taste).

Thanks!

Brandon

sandman
08-10-2007, 11:08 PM
You'll need to stir it until the honey dissolves completely to get the most out of your honey. Yeast has a problem with straight honey in that it's just too darn thick. It's possible that you just increased the ABV of your final product though by step feeding the honey into the must. Aging (a.k.a. "TIME") brings honey characters back into the mead. Champagne yeast also has a tendency to ferment itself dry before finally dying off.

Your mead is by no means ruined so don't worry about it. Just let it go for a while and be patient. I've gone through this one myself so I'm aquainted with the frustration factor you're going through. Then again, pretty much everyone here has felt it as well so you're in good company. ;D

I'm sure you'll end up getting a lot more responses to this post as time passes so kick back, have a homebrew, and read all the good research this site has to offer. I've actually even heard that there's a main site outside the forums. Vicky said something about that once. LOL (Supposedly there are all kinds of interesting articles and research out there on that "Home Page" thing she spoke of.)

Also go through the Newbies section and the "Read this First" section. Lots and lots of information to read while you wait for your yeasties to do their thing and give you some mead.

Hope that helps,
:cheers:
Sandman

bjswift
08-10-2007, 11:58 PM
Thanks sandman, your reply is very helpful! I will get a stiring tool to disolve the honey I put in to help it out. I started two other batches tonight, one is the Cinnful Cyser, and another is Syr Michael of York recipe. Both are 1 gallon recipes.. However, I think I carelessly pitched the yeast (re-hydrated) too soon not letting the Cinnful Cyser cool down enouigh (was still pretty warm when I put hands around the jug).

Hopefully, I will find out tomorrow if it is working or not :)

Anyhow, thanks again for the response! I am excited to be joining a great group of people (very helpful people).

- Brandon

sandman
08-11-2007, 12:24 AM
Happy to help out with my .02 dude.

Welcome to GotMead and the obsess.... errr... forum, I meant to say forum. ;D

BTW, I re-read your last post. Going from 2.5 to 3 lbs of honey won't hurt your mead at all. I aim at about 3 lbs per gallon as the norm most of the time. I like my meads semi-sweet to sweet more so than on the dry side. Just make sure to get that honey dissolved completely and all should be well.
:cheers:
Sandman

Rhianni
08-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Its very hard to 'ruin' mead. It may not get the flavor you intended to get when you started but try to find enjoyment for what it is or what it can become with some doctoring.

Mead takes months. Try not to panic and add in ingredients. I prefer 3 lbs of honey per gallon and get the FG down to about 1.005

I agree with Sandman. Get a stirring rod to disolve the honey thats at the bottom of the carboy. You are correct you definately dont want to get oxygen into it at this point.