PDA

View Full Version : When is old too old?

bjswift
08-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Does mead ever go bad after YEARS, and YEARS? I am planning of keeping a few bottles, hiding them if I have to so I do not drink them (when I get a finished batch of course) so that I can share it with my grand-kids. Since I currently have a 2yr daughter that could be a long, LONG time... I hope...

Oskaar
08-28-2007, 10:52 PM
Mead will age gracefully as will wine as long as the closure (crown cap, screw cap or cork) you use is in correctly and the seal is good. There are other things in the mead (acid, tannin, alcohol, etc.) that will help to add longevity to your mead as well. I've had crown capped bottles that have gone 11 years. I know other mead makers with bottles as old as 15-20 years and older. Really, the only limit is how long you can wait!

cheers,

Oskaar

Rhianni
08-29-2007, 09:10 AM
The longer you want to store mead the more careful with storage you have to be. Theoretically mead can store well for decades. At the age you are wanting I'd suggest taking a look at wax beads that you melt for a cap. Corks work well be even a tiny gap can cause problems for that length of time. You would use them together. I have not used them personally though.

sandman
08-29-2007, 11:39 AM
I heard (somewhere) that traditional meads age better than meads with additional ingredients like fruits or spices...

Is this a true statement? If not, are there any specific precautions aside of a good seal and maybe a dark environment to consider for long term storage? I've been considering making up a batch for long term (say maybe 11-15 years or so) storage. Something to break out when my kids either graduate college or get married or something like that.

Also, are uber gravity meads better suited for long term storage? I'm doing some research on this topic for now, but eventually I'm going to want to get started on this project. Probably it'll be right after my yeast experiment early next year.
:cheers:

Oskaar
08-29-2007, 01:35 PM
I heard SOMEWHERE that traditional meads age better than meads with additional ingredients like fruits or spices...Is this a true statement?
No.

If not, are there any specific precautions aside of a good seal and maybe a dark environment to consider for long term storage? I've been considering making up a batch for long term (say maybe 11-15 years or so) storage. Something to break out when my kids either graduate college or get married or something like that.
Key factor: Antioxidative properties of fruits, spices, etc. etc., preservative factors etc. Pyments will age as long as you want them to. Again, as mentioned above............pause for dramatic effect...........tannins (like from grapes, black fruit, etc.) and acid (from fruit, honey and such) and alcohol (if you need me to explain this you're in the wrong hobby) will all factor in to graceful aging.

Also, are uber gravity meads better suited for long term storage? I'm doing some research on this topic for now, but eventually I'm going to want to get started on this project. Probably it'll be right after my yeast experiment early next year.

High finishing gravity meads, in my opinion really come into their own after about 8 years. At over 20 they're magical.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

David Baldwin
08-29-2007, 01:58 PM
The longest-aged mead that I've had was a bottle of Jadwiga - aged 25 years in barrel and bottle. + however long it sat before I got it.

I'll double check, but I believe that was 16% ABV.

The cork would be considered marginal to poor in quality, but was topped with a wax seal.

That was by far my favorite bottle of mead. A close second would be the 6 year aged Jadwiga.

David

3BlindMice
08-29-2007, 02:44 PM
I have never had a problem with aged mead. In fact, my wife and I have been married almost 10 years and we toasted with 4 year old mead when we got married. I have a few bottles of this mead left (now 14 years old) and plan to toast with it on our tenth. That is my oldest and I have about 1.5 cases in total of about 10 different meads ranging from 4-10 years old. My recent stuff has not been put down for aging like I used to. I really should get about 1/3 of my batches and set them aside for aging... They truly are magical after about 5 years (at least the recipes I made anyway).

sandman
08-29-2007, 03:09 PM
if you need me to explain this you're in the wrong hobby
Nope, I'm good on that point. I just remember reading some posts on some meads turning the corner after a certain time. I'm still reading everything I can find on that point to see more the what's and the why's involved with optimal aging times and types.

Maybe I'll start a practice of setting back about a dozen bottles from each 5 gallon batch I make. The high gravity/long term aging project is something that's not going to go away though. That would be just too cool to be able to crack a bottle of something like that on my retirement day in 20-something years.

Sigmund Von Meader
08-29-2007, 04:51 PM
High finishing gravity meads, in my opinion really come into their own after about 8 years. At over 20 they're magical.

Oy Vey, what is a high finishing gravity? We know that it is high, but how high is it?

Could you give us a range for what is high finishing gravity?

What would be the associated alcohol ranges?

Twenty years, how do you make this magic?

sandman
08-29-2007, 05:31 PM
I've been looking at doing either a Jadwiga (1:3 water to honey), Półtorak (1:2), Dwójniak (1:1), Trójniak (2:1), or Czwórniak (3:1)

I'll definitely step feed the honey when I finally get around to doing this one. I want to do some more research before attempting something at this level.

When it comes time for bottling though I'll absolutely use wax seals and store them carefully.

I'm also going to want to use the best yeast I can for something like this so waiting until after my yeast experiment might be a good idea as well.

Lots to learn still before I attempt something on this scale. ;D

wayneb
08-30-2007, 11:33 PM
Those words bring a smile to my face, and memories of the most incredible meads I've ever tasted to mind!!

Now you're REALLY getting serious about this addic... er, ah, hobby! :icon_thumleft:

Check out the plan I have for a variant of the ABC recipe here: http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=412&topic=5484.0

I'm gonna turn my efforts into at least a Dwojniak, unless it takes all that additional honey and cries out for even more!!

Wanna join this group effort? I'm planning to start sometime in mid October.

sandman
08-30-2007, 11:56 PM
I'd love to get with that project Wayne, it looks like it'll be a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I'm already going to be pushing the envelope of my mead storage space if I try to get my yeast experiement started before next spring. I've got every carboy I own (8 one gallon and 1 five gallon) filled and aging right now. I'm planning on doing some serious bottling right after New Years though. My yeast experiment will take 5 of the 1 gallon jugs, but after I bottle the JAO my 5 gallon carboy will be free and clear. I'm hoping for a 5-6 gallon bucket for Christmas from the boss though. She's been really cool so far about my new obssession so I'm not going to start rocking the boat just yet. I've already taken over a third of her pantry. :angel10:

I'm definitely going to be collecting high gravity recipes until the point I get this one going. I may end up following your lead a few months behind you though so post often. ;D

Rob

teljkon
08-31-2007, 02:33 AM
What! :o are you guys nuts this is outrageous. Keeping alcohol locked away for so many years imprisoned in a glass tomb with a cork gate how could you. Once mature are helpless little friends should be set free as soon as possible. I have no choice but to petition the board in protest. :protest: All of you must be banned from the got mead board for ever this behavior is both disgusting :sign18: and troublesome.:sad11: Not to mention those poor tannins I can hear there crys for :help: as we speak. Free the mead Free the mead Free the mead... :angry5:
:happy10:

AsharaLyn
08-31-2007, 04:51 PM
We had a bottle of mead in our fridge for several years (like maybe 8 or 10!). It's been so long that I don't recall exactly what it tasted like initially (friends of ours made it, and we shared a few bottles, then they gave us a bottle to keep). When we opened it a few weeks ago, it was VERY dry, and had basically no flavor other than 'dry'. It was way too smooth. Bruce liked it, but I didn't much care for it. It wasn't "bad", but it wasn't great either.

wayneb
08-31-2007, 08:24 PM
What! :o are you guys nuts this is outrageous. Keeping alcohol locked away for so many years imprisoned in a glass tomb with a cork gate how could you. Once mature are helpless little friends should be set free as soon as possible. I have no choice but to petition the board in protest. :protest: All of you must be banned from the got mead board for ever this behavior is both disgusting :sign18: and troublesome.:sad11: Not to mention those poor tannins I can hear there crys for :help: as we speak. Free the mead Free the mead Free the mead... :angry5:
:happy10:

O contraire, mon ami! Drinking this "high octane" blend before its time is a lot like robbing the cradle. ::) Entre nous, although you may derive some immediate satisfaction from the experience, it won't be anywhere near the pleasure to be had from a rendezvous with an older, more mature libation! Besides, isn't drinking mead before its time illegal in some states?? :o :D

Johnnybladers
08-31-2007, 08:42 PM
I'm hoping for a 5-6 gallon bucket for Christmas from the boss

Rob
]
This is the second+ quote in which i've seen a wife listed as the mitigating factor in a 15-20 $ purchase. If this is the cost of a bride, I'll toast you gents who've "made the purchase" and buy another carboy. I understand consulting for several hundred $ But 20$? Feed her some hooch and tell her it's bought :cheers:

sandman
08-31-2007, 09:07 PM
Oh, I wrote that "mostly" for the humor factor. The real point is that I'm taking over her pantry one square foot at a time. When they issued out the wives, I definitely got one of the better ones. ;D

Fortunately, I've got a wife that loves her mead as much as I do. We're deciding on how to set me up with more space right now. I'll probably end up taking over one of our closets as a mead space and then installing some shelves for bottles and bulk storage. Of course I'll be keeping the pantry space as well for my primary and secondary fermentation areas. Once you get it you never give it back.

BTW, that brewing bucket is going to be accompanied by a new 5 gallon carboy to bulk store a Poltorak I'm developing a recipe for. That one will end up in our room in a corner of MY closet once it's ready to be set back. I probably won't bottle that one for a few years.

It's not so much a point of asking for minor things as it is making them feel more a part of the obsess... err... hobby. Besides, anticipation is part of the fun... Plus, it helps teach me patience while I'm waiting for my other meads to mature. I really hate that part. LOL

teljkon
09-01-2007, 02:44 AM
O contraire, mon ami! Drinking this "high octane" blend before its time is a lot like robbing the cradle. ::) Entre nous, although you may derive some immediate satisfaction from the experience, it won't be anywhere near the pleasure to be had from a rendezvous with an older, more mature libation! Besides, isn't drinking mead before its time illegal in some states?? :o :D

This is the very reason im leaving the country to freer fields where the age of sweet libation is not in question. Soon theyll want me to stop dating young women nay I say this country has become sick. Jk :tongue3:

Well not really but not for the above reasons. Hmm intresting though time for a poll.

Johnnybladers
09-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Oh, I wrote that "mostly" for the humor factor. The real point is that I'm taking over her pantry one square foot at a time.

Now it all makes sense. You're stealing her space but by getting the OK on the purchase, thus including her in the hobby, it almost made the space stealing her idea >:D Brilliant I say :notworthy: I've much to learn :icon_study:

sandman
09-04-2007, 06:09 PM
"Thus endeth the lesson." :laughing7:

BTW, since that post I've aquired 3 gallons of OB honey for my Poltorak project. Not only was there no objection, it was her idea that I go ahead and pick the honey up now instead of later just to make sure I had it onhand when the time comes. Yes, my wife rocks out loud. ;D

AsharaLyn
09-04-2007, 08:53 PM
My husband's been doing almost the same thing. I put together the first two batches, and now he's coming up with all these ideas about what 'we' should make next, and making plans for more mead storage... :toothy10:

sandman
09-04-2007, 09:02 PM
See? It works both ways. ;D Inclusion is a wonderful way to spread the mead bug.

My wife has also been looking at our spare closet as a possible storage area. She already had me take a look at it to see how hard it would be to install shelves and wine racks for bottle storage. Of course that's in addition to the spaces I've already taken over. Funny how that works... We get the bug, then we spread it to those we love. :laughing7:

Kee
05-19-2008, 04:21 PM
I've been looking at doing either a Jadwiga (1:3 water to honey), Półtorak (1:2), Dwójniak (1:1), Trójniak (2:1), or Czwórniak (3:1)

I assume this is Volume to Volume. Correct? Sorry, still very new to this.

wayneb
05-19-2008, 04:24 PM
It is volume to volume.