PDA

View Full Version : Spring Water. Good, Bad or Who Cares?

Gruffud
08-29-2007, 05:09 PM
Hello Again,

I have a source of artesian spring water ($0.10 per gallon). I know from personal experience that this stuff is great for brewing beer, but what about for mead? What do I need to look for in my water?

Thanks,

Gruffud

Oskaar
08-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Take a chance . . . Custer did!

I say try it in a 1 gallon test recipe, if it tastes like swill use bottled spring water. Do not use distilled or reverse-osmosis water.

Oskaar

ken_schramm
08-29-2007, 09:58 PM
What do I need to look for in my water?

Don't look; taste and smell. "Look for" water that tastes great and doesn't smell like anything you don't want in your mead.

Ken

Gruffud
08-30-2007, 06:02 PM
The idea of a 1 gal test batch sounds good. Wouldn't quality control be spotty? I mean, it would be easy to screw up a gallon because of the small volume, no? As far as smell and taste, oh boy! the pumphouse sits on the wellhead, the water comes out at 54 degrees, sweet and tasty. No off colors, smells or flavors. I'm just worried about mineral content. We have for water what would commonly be refered to as "liquid rock", running in the vicinity of 400-450 ppm carbonate hardness, both tap and well. Is hard water a problem?

Gruffud

wayneb
08-30-2007, 11:42 PM
Hard water is generally not a problem, unless there are iron or sulfur compounds mixed in with the calcium and/or magnesium that bring off flavors. Ken's right - the taste and smell (if any) of the water is your best guide. From your description of the taste, I'd say that you'll have no problem at all and you'll start your musts with a significant amount of "natural buffer" that you'd otherwise possibly have to add to keep the pH from drifting too low during fermentation! Sounds like your water is similar to my well water (although our total hardness is more like 175ppm, so you've got me beat!!).

Gruffud
09-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Thanks Wayne, that helps.

Gruffud