PDA

View Full Version : First batch question

goodvibes
08-30-2007, 03:44 AM
aloha,
I wanted to refrain from asking a question that might have already been asked so I have used the search feature to the bone before coming to the table. So here we go........I'm going to make my first batch next week using Joe's Ancient Orange recipe. The only augmentation that i am going to make to the recipe will be to increase all the components (except the yeast) to make up a 6 gallon batch.I purchased my first equipment kit and it is composed of a 7.5 gallon plastic primary, and 6 gallon glass carboy.

My question is, can I use the 7.5 gallon plastic bucket as the primary for this recipe?
Or should I use the glass carboy (as directed) as the primary and purchase another carboy to rack into?

Either way I intend to rack into a carboy when fermentation is complete for a little more time to clear and bulk age.

Also, during the beginning stages of fermentation should I be interested in connecting a blow off tube or will the airlock do fine?

Mahalo nui loa for the help,

~N

Arjan
08-30-2007, 04:34 AM
i suggest using the glass one only.

With this recipe theres no "seccondary".. since you may not touch the batch at all till its finished.

Also since its your first batch, its very much fun to watch the fermetation progress from start to end through the glass. :)

gl and have fun! and beware for the addiction ;)

Angus
08-31-2007, 09:49 AM
Hello Goodvibes,

You can indeed use the bucket without any problems, which will free up your carboy for racking off the lees before bottling or to bulk age as you intend. As for the blow-off tube, you should have plenty of space at the top of the bucket and could therefore use the airlock, but you may be a little tight if using the carboy. If you get a very active fermentation in the carboy, some of the fruit could get pushed up far enough to block either tube or airlock, so be prepared for a little clean up.

Good luck.

Angus

goodvibes
08-31-2007, 03:35 PM
Right on, thanks guys. If anyone else wants to chime in it's welcomed. I'll be going with the best 2 out of 3 consensus. thanks again

AsharaLyn
08-31-2007, 04:39 PM
There's a whole 9 page thread on the JAO in the recipes forum, so make sure you check that out :). It does mention that you leave the JAO intact (in the primary) until it drops clear (you can read newspaper through it, I hear). At that point, you could rack it before you bottle it, without violating the "make no changes" clause in the recipe guarantee. It's likely to be there for a month or two, so I don't know if you want to tie up your bucket for that long. Plus, you won't be able to see when it clears. My personal pick would be to make the JAO in the carboy, and then buy another carboy for use with your bucket primary :). As for blowoff, the recipe for the JAO says to leave a rather large amount of space (I think it says the must should only come to the shoulder of the carboy), so it shouldn't be a problem. Remember that the "3 inches from the top" that's mentioned in the recipe is for a 1 gallon jug.

Of course, I just started making mead myself, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. Or maybe only half credit!

goodvibes
08-31-2007, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the input Sara. Glass carboy wins the bout...i will be starting the batch in a few days. And thanks to everyone else for info. you all are great and may the spirit of aloha reach to you from paradise. Keep an eye out for the brewlog next week. If i have any more questions please help me out on the beaten path. mahalo nui loa! ~N