• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Smell in wine cant tell if its yeastie or eggie

Barrel Char Wood Products

rhiino

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2007
Made a new batch of Zinfindel(80gals)wine two days ago Brix where at 25. I started it with Lalvin uvaferm vrb 90 g with 114g of goferm and 3oz of fermaidk.. never used the goferm or fermaidk before.. batch took off like a bat out of you know where today brixs dropped from 25 to 17 temp is at 91... too hot. Its in a controled room temp of room is 68.. seems like its smell like egg salad but think it could also smell like bead... what now... dont care to loose it.. also put a bottle of water that i froze to try and cool her down been making wine 7 yrs now havent run into this before .. any help would truly be appreciated
thanks Rhiino :icon_scratch:
1000lbs grape
90 grams yeast
114 grams goferm( dap )
3 oz fremaidk (nutrients )

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Ok, time for you to post in a format that we can help you with. Please post in tabular format (see example below):

20 lbs honey
4 gallons water
10 grams yeast

Your other specs seem a bit off.

Please post your recipe here and let us know what you were intending to produce.

Cheers,

Oskaar

rhiino

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2007
wine thanks oscar sorry about that
1000lbs grape
90 grams yeast
114 grams goferm( dap )
3 oz fremaidk (nutrients )

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Sorry, I misread your first post and didn't catch the specs for some reason, maybe it was because I was reading without my specs :tongue3:

I'd go ahead and give it a dose of Fermaid-K/DAP mixture at a ratio of 70% Fermaid K and 30% DAP. Generally the eggy smell tends to be nutrient starved/stessed out yeast. I've seen this in my Zins as well. No big deal if you stay on top of it. Make sure to punch down that cap several times a day and pump over if you have the equipment. You might consider delestage if you have another vessel to pump over to.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

rhiino

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2007
Thanks oscar
what contitues a dose for 80 gals.. how many grams of the 70 /30 mix
additionally i racked it and removed some of the lees whiele i was waiting for your responce
greatly appreciate your help
Rhiino
Great site by the way

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
How far along is this wine now anyhow?

Are you past the 1/3 sugar break (30% drop in total brix) also check your TA and VA to make sure you're in the right range for what you want, and check your pH to make sure you're in a yeast friendly zone. Are you still on the fruit? If so for how long? You said you racked, so I'm guessing you're pretty much through fermentation so hold off on any dosing until you answer back on current brix, pH acid, etc. and how far along your fermentation is.

If you're still in primary, you'll want to add the nutrient at a rate of 1 gram per gallon so if you have eighty gallons you're going to go eighty grams total with 60 being Fermaid-K and 20 being DAP. You may want to go less depending on how you've been dosing to this point.

Let me know,

Oskaar

rhiino

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2007
Ok Oscar
wines in first stage still on its skins been cooking (yeast ) for 3 days .. started at 25 brix is at 12 now little more than 50 % done i racked it to arrate it but its still on the skins and so forth.. going to add the dap and the fermaidk now dont have any ph strips waiting for sum to come my way via freind. ill let you know how it goes thanks for your help much appreciated
Rhiino
PS how long before eggie smell goes away

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
OK,

Your color extraction should be good by tomorrow, tannin extraction may take longer, that'll be up to you to adjudicate based on your preferences. I'd say that post nutrient addition the smell will go away within a day, if it doesn't let me know and we'll go through a couple of things. Make sure to keep that cap moving as much as you can. Are you using a macro bin or 55 blue barrels?

Cheers,

Oskaar

rhiino

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2007
Blue barrels 2 of them it will be put in a 300 litter variable top stainless when pressed thanks again and ill keep you up on it
Rhiino

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
rhiino said:
Blue barrels 2 of them it will be put in a 300 litter variable top stainless when pressed thanks again and ill keep you up on it
Rhiino

After you hit about 8 brix make sure to top off that second barrel with CO2 or Argon to keep the O2 from queering the wine. Just flood the barrel with it.

What's your ambient temperature there? Have you stuck the must for temperature?

Good luck,

Oskaar

rhiino

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2007
Ok Oscar
Here we go
Egg smell ever so slite now

Barrel #1
room temp 66
must temp 84
brix 7

Barrel #2
room temp 66
must temp 84
brix 6

its still on its skins never floated argon on it untill its pressed but
Ill start floating argon today anything eles will it need . More nutrerints or dap ?
Thanks in advance for the help
Rhiino

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hold off on the argon for now, I thought you were closing in on secondary and pressing. If you're still in active fermentation you're going to be fine with the CO2 being produced. I can't stress enough to keep that cap moving and the wine moving as well to keep that temperature from climbing.

Where did you get your grapes? Take a couple of the skins from each barrel and chew them to see if the flavor (eggie) is in the skins, if so it's probably due to a last dose of sulfur while still in the fields, or maybe even in the winery at crush. A lot of times places will sulfur right in the crusher/destemmer.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

rhiino

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2007
Ok Oskaar
Must is at 1brix. Going to press tomarrow night and should have about 70 gallons..
the feraidk and dap helped the eggie smell but its ever so slitely thier. enought that it bothers me.
Any suggestions
ill be placeing into a 300 litter var top stainless
Thanks in advance for your time
Rhiino

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns