• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

New here

Barrel Char Wood Products

Dagda

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2007
Just droping a line to introduce myself.
I'm still going through the NewBee guide, but what I have read so far has been most useful. There is information that I did not find in the book I bought.

I've been lurking for a couple of weeks now that I'm getting back into mead making. I tried making Mead a couple of years ago, but my first two attempts at it failed miserably. I tried a third time, making a Raspberry Melomel and it came out ok.
I want to try a Mulled Cider Melomel. Or would that still be considered a Cyser?
And I was wondering if anybody's got an opinion as to what apple type would be best for such an endever?

Rhianni

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006
Welcome Dagda :D

Technically it would be called a cyser if its fermented apples and honey.
I cant comment on the type of apple but if you use juice be very sure there arent preservatives in there. They can sneak into juices and will make fermenting very hard. I've used Whole Foods apple juice and its worked fairly well. And it comes in 1 gallon glass jugs perfect for reuse lol.

ucflumberjack

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2006
hmmm... just a clarification. if you want a mead that tasted like apples you should use apple juice, not apples. Then you dont use water. A sample recipe would be:

-1 gallon honey
-4 gallons apple juice
-k1v1116 yeast

Cysers are great to start out (and great in general I think) with because while your practicing your NAS with you first few meads, the apple juice tends to make up for your mistakes in that department. What i mean is that you dont usually have fermentation issues with cysers, unless the yeast ferments the cyser to dryness because the apple juice gives the yeast lots of nutrients to munch on so they stay happy and keep fermenting without a whole lot of intervention. cysers generally taste good with spices in them. i used ceylon cinnamon and lots of cloves in my last one. the clove flavor has taken over, but i love clove falvor so thats good for me. the one before that i used cassia cinnamon and the cinnamon flavor was the strongest, but the apple flavor came through very strong after a bit of aging time. well anyways im rambling and i have stuff to do.

Yo momma

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 14, 2007
Flint, Michigan
Wow u entered the best mead site for new mead makers. Welcome. Make sure you stir your Cyser twice daily to airate the must (per Oscars recomondation). He says that Cysers like oxygen and it helps promote good even fermentation. It worked for me.

I like a cinnamon stick, 2 cloves whole, pinch of nutmeg and a pinch of alspice in my 1 gallon of Cyser.
SPICE IT UP :icon_thumright:

Dagda

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2007
Thanks to all who replied.

@ucflumberjack, I was considering making my own apple juice. However, just buying some from the apple farm is a lot easier. ;)

As soon as I get my equipment replaced, I'll get to work on it.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns