View Full Version : Yeast types?

09-10-2007, 03:09 PM
Okay. How do I figure out what type of yeast I have been using.. What is Lalvin EC-1118? What other kinds are there? I have been using Red Star Champagne Yeast packages, and fleishmann's baking yeast (for my JAO).

But, nowhere on the package does it give the strein, or phlyium of yeast I am using.. I dont' even know what it means!

09-10-2007, 03:47 PM
search google for lalvin and lallemand. many of those yeasts are available to homebrewers. go to morewinemaking.com, heartshomebrew.com, northernbrewer.com, and any other brew shops website that you can find and write down the yeasts that they carry, then research them on their manufacturers website. the two main brands are lalvin and red star. lalvin has a bigger variety and makes nutrients specific to their yeasts. also look at the post called "oskaar in a nutshell", it has a few yeasts listed there... theres also a page on this website that has a pretty long list of yeasts with some of their vital/basic info.

09-10-2007, 04:07 PM
Here's a quick chart at the Lalvin site:

I tend to lump yeasts for meadmaking into two major categories:

Wine yeasts
- White Wine
- Red Wine
- Champagne
- Mead specific

Beer yeasts
- Ale
- Lager

In my mind, the EC-1118 falls into the Champagne category. The text that pops up when you click the strain icon on the site supports this.

Other manufacturers of wine and beer yeasts are White Labs and Wyeast, with Wyeast providing two mead-specific strains.

09-10-2007, 04:30 PM
There's also http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=625&Itemid=42 which is a nifty little quick reference.