PDA

View Full Version : How to make labels?

bjswift
09-21-2007, 09:00 PM
Ok, so is there a way to print out your own labels using regular computer paper, or glossy computer paper, and an ink jet printer? How about glue? I read somewhere that you should use 1 part elmers to 3 part water.. How should I glue my labels once I figure out a good paper source?

Thanks,

Scadsobees
09-21-2007, 10:18 PM
I'm pretty amateur, but I used Avery 2x4? address labels. The print on them isn't perfect, but they were easy to do.

Rick

Angus
09-21-2007, 10:30 PM
Avery labels have a bad habit of being a pain to remove once they are on.

I print onto regular printer paper, lacquer the labels with spray, and then glue them on using elmers glue sticks when the lacquer is dry. They stick well, but come right off when you place the bottles in hot water.

Angus

bjswift
09-22-2007, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the tips! I'm looking for somthing cheap, and easy to remove so I can reuse with as little frusteration as possible. I like the idea you bring up Angus, what type of lacquer do you use, and do you spray just the printed side of the paper, or both sides?

Thanks

chad
09-22-2007, 02:07 AM
Try using 'Static Cling' labels to make reusable labels :laughing7:.

ehanuise
09-22-2007, 05:11 AM
you can print to a pdf file, go with a USB stick to the local copy shop, and have them output the file on a color laser. Unlike inkjets, color laser stands being wet :)
(this being said good quality inkjets are somehow waterproof).

What is 'elmer' ? (haven't got that in europe :p )

wayneb
09-22-2007, 10:23 AM
"Elmer's White Glue" is a tradename for a brand of white glue that historically was used both for wood and paper here in the US. It has been pretty much of a fixture in school classrooms for over 50 years here in this country. "Elmer's" is now used as a more generic name for any white, water soluble adhesive (including the glue sticks) sold by one particular company. Any water soluble glue stick should work as well for this application! I suppose if you wanted to be a traditionalist, you could use modified wheat starch paste (the stuff used to hang wallpaper), as that was used almost from the invention of the paper bottle label until recent years when various heat cured resin-chain (thermoplastic) formulations were adopted as replacements.

BTW - "Elmer" and "Elsie" were the names of a bull and a cow, respectively, that were used as character trademarks to sell a variety of products manufactured by the Borden Companies, which started out as a dairy operation and patented the first process to evaporate and condense milk for canning. They were into everything from milk to plastics at one time, but now are mostly a dairy operation again.

Angus
09-22-2007, 03:10 PM
The lacquer I use is the type that you can buy in Arts and Crafts stores for spraying on charcoal drawings etc. to set them. I only spray the printed side. I have heard that you can use hairspray, although this type of lacquer is a lot less potent and you may need a couple of extra coats.

Angus

ehanuise
09-22-2007, 08:19 PM
OK, thanks. So, white water-based glue or wallpaper glue, indeed (both have the same kind of basis now, that is an acrylic media that polymers while drying).

storm1969
09-22-2007, 11:44 PM
I use repositionable labels....

Stick right on, come right off.

beeboy
09-23-2007, 07:10 PM
I use Avery address lables for my meads. I print up enough for about half of the bottles from each batch and just hand write small lables for the rest. The bottles with the printed lables are for gifts and long term aging while the bottles with the small hand written lables are for personal consumption. To remove the lables I scrape as must as I can off the bottle with a knife and then scrub the rest of the glue off with a Scotch Brite pad and soap.

akueck
09-23-2007, 08:48 PM
I also use injet printed labels and Elmer's glue. Works great, though I'm thinking of making generic labels and hanging them over the neck (so they're reusable).

teljkon
09-24-2007, 05:43 AM
Really Really easy way to labels is with a ribbon and a whole punch. You can fix the labels just about where ever you want with a little inventive wraping and tying. Even a few professional wines have this style of lable on it. You could even re use leather straps for cost savings long term!
:happy10:

bjswift
09-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Great tips! Now I have another craft I can keep busy with while I wait for my mead to finish! That is, of course, when I am not making mead.

JephSullivan
09-24-2007, 10:34 AM
I have had some success with Avery "Easy Peel" labels. They're like regular address labels, but the adhesive is like the stuff on Post-It notes, so it peels off easily. I got mine from Staples. Here's a link: Avery Easy Peel Labels (http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesSearch?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&categoryId=10455&cmArea=SEARCH&searchClassId=10455&keyword=inkjet+address+labels&actualKeyword=easy+peel&searchSkuCount=10&compChartFlag=true&searchUnsumUrl=searchresults&searchSumUrl=searchresultssummary&errorUrl=searchnoresults&fromUrl=searchresultssummary&cmArea=SEARCH). (They make them for laser printers too.)

Pewter_of_Deodar
09-24-2007, 11:49 AM
I use the Avery labels with my ink jet and have good results. However, they run when moisture hits them, like bottle sweat on a humid day, so I may start laquering them as someone suggested.

I have found the labels come right off when soaked in water with a little common amonia cleaner in it. I usually do bottles in bulk and take one of my old 5 gallon honey pails, put the bottles in after filling them with water, fill the bucket up to the neck of the bottles with water, and then add a little bit of the amonia and put the lid on and let them soak. They need to soak for a couple of hours. This method also works for all but the stingiest of commercial labels.

I peel the labels off, sometimes it takes my fingernails, then scrub whatever adhesive remains off with a brillo pad...