PDA

View Full Version : Increasing a recipe size

rekkerafthor
09-23-2007, 03:19 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew how to scale up the no age sweet mead recipe found here. http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_rapidrecipe&page=viewrecipe&recipe_id=119&Itemid=6

I want to brew a 5 gallon batch but I'm not sure if I have to increase any of the ingredients other than the honey.

Oskaar
09-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Simply multiply your ingredients by 5 except for the yeast which will be fine at the original 1 5gram packet.

Also note that the starting gravity in this recipe should be 1.100. So while the amount of honey in pounds is multiplied, you need to use the SG of 1.100 as your starting gravity rather than relying on the number of pounds. The sugar content in honey varies by type and location so using pounds of honey as a measure is not going to work from batch to batch or honey to honey. Use your hydrometer and mix your must up to the specified original gravity and you'll be fine.

Again, follow the recipe and instructions to the letter, don't substitute yeast, measurements, etc. The only exceptions I would suggest are in the amount of sulfite used. In a five gallon batch I would not go more than 1/4 teaspoon of K-Metabisulfite (50 ppm) and .5 grams/gallon of K-Sorbate.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar