• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Keep me away from Honey stores...

Barrel Char Wood Products

storm1969

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 13, 2005
Columbia, MD
You need to keep me from going into honey stores! Went into the Bee Folks both at the MD Ren Faire today, not expecting to buy anything because they are very expensive....

But I came out of the booth with 4 Gallons of honey! (they did give me a break for buying a case...)

2 gallons of killer bee honey and 2 gallons of Arrowleaf.

Like I needed more honey!

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
I have a plan for you. Chain-mail honey distribution: you send a bucket to one of us, we take a few ladles out and send it to the next person, etc. Send it to 10 friends and your wish will be granted!!

storm1969

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 13, 2005
Columbia, MD
ucflumberjack said:
how do you like those honey's? i have been wondering about the killerbee honey.

Both of them were very nice.
The Killer bee was dark, creamy and had a lot of flavor. I get the idea that it is like wildflower....

The arrowleaf had a lot of complexity but was much lighter. I'm expecting good things from both...

I think I am going to do straight meads from both.

Oh yeah, for anybody that cares, the killer bee is supposed to be organic.

BeeFolks

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 9, 2006
www.beefolks.com
I wouldn't call us expensive - I would say that we ask a fair price for a quality product!

Killer Bee is a wildflower honey from Brazil. The bees down there have been africanized for years, if not decades, hence the name. It varies a bit from time to time, but so far has always been a variation of caramel. We purchase it as organic, but we are not certified yet, so since it passes through our pumps, we cannot put the USDA-organic label on it yet. I am hoping to finish up the paperwork for certification over the winter....

Arrowleaf is actually a type of clover. It is lighter and sweeter than the clover in the store, and crystallizes much faster. Not certain if the difference in the taste is because of the variety of clover it was drawn from, and how much is the fact that much of the clover honey in the store is corn-syrup/honey imported from China....

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns